Wednesday, August 12, 2020

“The Dark” by SYML - A Song Feature


     The artistry within the intro of “The Dark” signals the upcoming beauty. Still, the instrumental diversity is a continuous revelation. For example, the intro does not telegraph the later arrival of a trumpet and a flugelhorn.  While it is SYML’s voice that invites the listener into the waters of emotion that characterize the song, it’s the combination of the vocals with the care and attention paid to each element of “The Dark” that immerses the listener in that emotion.

     SYML (pronounced “simmel”) is Brian Fennell, who is based in Issaquah, Washington (near Seattle). “The Dark” showcases his vocal range and his “emotional investment” in his music. He effortlessly enters and exits the falsetto register. The song also evidences his attentiveness to instrumentation. After the intro, the piano and electric guitar accompany the passion in the vocals. The horns first enter at 2:34. “The Dark” also includes the vibraphone, synths, and simple finger snaps. The credits and the lyrics are included in this post.

     While explaining “The Dark,” SYML said:
  “The song came out of that isolation and distance we've all been experiencing lately. I don’t believe we are meant to be alone, but that doesn’t change the fact that we often are. If ‘The Dark’ found you alone, I hope it walks with you and the postcard you share goes along for that journey."
  “I’m sharing this earlier than I was planning... I’m not even sure if this will be the final version of it, but I think it’s special and applies to what we are all experiencing as humans. My darkness looks different than yours, but we feel it in similar ways. Thankfully, I am loved by a wife and kids whose love shines bright.”

     “The Dark” by SYML




“The Dark” Credits:
Brian Fennell - vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, synths, vibraphone, additional percussion
Brian Eichelberger - organ
Kyle Ryan - electric guitar
James Mcalister - percussion
Kyle Resnick - trumpet and flugelhorn
Mixed by Joe Visciano
Mastered by Levi Seitz

Lyrics of “The Dark” by SYML
My fire is starved of oxygen
A flicker in the howling wind
Beware the night is closing in
And if I fall asleep, the shadows win

Well the darkness came to take my faith
It tried to steal my words to pray
My love came down like holy rain
And She became my god that day

And She became my god that day

She taught me how to think out loud
To listen when there ain't no sound
To love myself through all the doubt
To sing and make my mother proud

To sing and make my mother proud

To sing and make my mother proud

In the dark I learned to love again
A sacred place it's always been
Where souls depart and life begins
The dark led me to light again
Yeah, the dark led me to light again

Yeah, the dark led me to light again
Yeah, the dark led me to light again

No comments:

Post a Comment