Thursday, September 10, 2020

“Don't Feel Much Like Me” by Volunteer - A Song Feature


     The song makes peace between the seemingly irreconcilable, namely admitting a dependence-based vulnerability and delivering empowerment. The dependence is upon another person. “Don't Feel Much Like Me” is about missing someone who plays an important role in helping you feel grounded. The empowerment is delivered by a crescendo that drops the listener at the peaceful final seconds of the single from Volunteer.

     The vocals are perfectly suited for the emotion, both during the quiet storytelling start of the song and during the forceful request for reassurance toward the end. But almost without exception, the ability of a song to withstand the test of time depends upon subtle nuances and attention to detail. “Don't Feel Much Like Me” will stand strong over time. There are distant vocal howls that remind us of Lord Huron. The first occurs at 1:27. The song from Volunteer includes swells that foreshadow the crescendo. And the lyrics are poetic, such as the question “When the notes seem wrong / Would you just keep singing along?”. Interestingly, only once during the song does Volunteer complete the title sentence "I don't feel much like me" with the phrase "without you."

     Instrumentally, the focus is varied. At the start, the piano is featured as it rides atop a low murmur. As “Don't Feel Much Like Me” progresses, the guitar makes an understated appearance. But it isn’t until the single reaches its full force that the percussion skills are showcased. At 3:12, the percussion ends and the final seconds are left in the enchanting possession of a fading angelic choir and instruments.

          Volunteer is the performance name of vocalist/songwriter Cory Quintard who started in Orlando, Florida, but now resides in Nashville. When referring to “Don't Feel Much Like Me,” he explained:
  “I wrote the title line of this song on a pitch black, lonely highway somewhere in the Midwest. It was one too many nights into a long stretch of shows. I had just driven over a state line - right about the time my wife and I would have been getting ready for bed if I were home. This song is for anyone who misses someone, and therefore, feels like they’re missing a piece of themselves. It’s a slow build, because that’s my favorite kinda song, so be patient with it. It won’t leave you hangin’. It was co-written, recorded, rewritten, and re-recorded with Will Mikkelson in two home studios over three years.”

     “Don't Feel Much Like Me” is a single from Volunteer’s upcoming debut album “The Ride.” The album is scheduled for release on November 20. Leading to that date, there will be two additional single releases, namely “Searching for Someone” (September 25) and “Sandcastles in June” (October 23).

      “Don't Feel Much Like Me (Without You)” by Volunteer




Lyrics of “Don't Feel Much Like Me (Without You)” by Volunteer
Somewhere in Tennessee
You’re falling fast asleep
And I just crossed a state line
If only when I arrived
And you had learned how to fly
I know you’d be waiting

Cause I don’t feel much like me
I don’t feel much like me

Whenever I’m away
Even on my best day
You would make it better
It can be hard to smile
When you’re further with every mile
And the days all last forever

Cause I don’t feel much like me
I don’t feel much like me
Without you

When the road gets long
And my tired legs are shaking
When the notes seem wrong
Would you just keep singing along?

Cause I don’t feel much like me
I don’t feel much like me
I don’t feel much like me

No comments:

Post a Comment