Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween-ready Songs - Kip Macklejar and Lone Kodiak

     While the two songs in this post are not directly related to Halloween, both are relevant to the day’s celebration. “The Coal Miner's Daughter” is about a request to help raise the dead.  “Bones” includes the line “"This is what it sounds like: the rhythm of an ending life."

     Quoting the bio of Kip Macklejar
  Raised in London, moved to his mothers hometown of Copenhagen, started a band signed a management deal, went on tour, signed a record deal, then the singer got deported for fighting, dream over. Sick of band dynamics, and music label politics, this project is designed to emphasis independence, all produced and performed by one man from his bedroom studio, the personal middle finger to bad band mates and the cliche music environment nowadays"

     Lone Kodiak is an East LA rock band comprised of singer/guitarist Dainéal Parker, bassist Daniel Alden, and drummer Josh Harris. Parker and Alden were founding members of Portland band emberghost before vocalist/keyboardist Sarah Jennings was diagnosed with a brain tumor that would later take her life. At her celebration of life service, Parker, now living in Los Angeles, suggested the two of them start something new.

Lyrics of “Bones” by Lone Kodiak
Watching you grow up, I thought
"This is what it feels like to be somebody's sunshine"
This is the good life
Thought you would wake up
But you just wouldn't open your eyes
Guess you fell asleep
 
I don't think I can wait
Until my bones feel the weight of my soul again
 
Listening to your chest, I thought
"This is what it sounds like: the rhythm of an ending life"
Think we'll be alright
Carrying you around in our phrases and our words
Singing them in song like you would
 
Don't think I can wait
Until my bones feel the weight of my soul again
 
Every time we talk about you
Someone laughs, someone cries, everybody knows
You are a song that can't be written
About a force that can't be reckoned
Yeah, that sums it up
 
Don't think I can wait
Until my bones feel the weight of my soul again
 

No comments:

Post a Comment