Friday, March 3, 2023

“Paper Thin” by Instant Empire - A Song Feature

 

     At the risk of being sentenced to stoning as a heretic preaching blasphemy of the musical holy, we assert that “Paper Thin” stands up well in a comparison to Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The clearest parallel is the piano, which has an elegance that far exceeds its complexity. Both Instant Empire and Queen employ the piano as the accompaniment during a ballad segment of their songs. And both singles then migrate from the piano-driven ballad format into a guitar-featured segment, although “Bohemian Rhapsody” is undeniably more Rock. We also point to the shared qualities of (1) church choir-like harmonization and (2) a lyrical conclusion that is best described as a reflective coda.
 
      The lyrics of “Paper Thin” are included in this post. They are masterful! Briefly, the song from Instant Empire is about an epiphany. But The lyrics can be broken into sections, with the first section providing a description of the time and place of the epiphany. It was the last day of the year and it was near the Sangre de Cristos Mountains (which are around the border of Colorado and New Mexico). The time/place stamp then gives way to a recognition of your own smallness and a confession of vulnerability. That’s followed by a declaration and finally the reflective coda, which concludes with “And for once in my life, I’m at ease.” The lyrical ending is positive and gratifying. But our highest praise goes the previous verse of vulnerability and anthemic declaration:
I am so paper thin that a strong gust of wind might send me spinning and skimming.
And eventually I'll sink within.
It'll end me
But not today. Oh, not today. Oh, not today
This is not the day that'll end me
 
     Instant Empire is based in Denver, Colorado. The members are Scotty Saunders (vocals, lyrics), Sean Connaughty (guitar, keys), Lou Kucera (guitar, keys), Jacob Porter (bass), and Tristan Kelley (drums). They are nearing the March 31 release of the album “Standing Eight Count.”  Regarding their song “Paper Thin” and its placement on the album, Saunders explained:
  "With some songs, you can recall exactly where you were when you began writing. 'Paper Thin’ is one of those songs: December 31, 2019, driving north across the New Mexico border into Colorado. It was one of those perfectly clear, blue-sky days. Maybe the words for this song were influenced by the hope that often accompanies a new year? Regardless, 2019 had been a tough year. Little did I know when I started writing this song what the years 2020-21 would have in store.
  Sometimes on a long drive, you enter that weird mind-state where you’re moving through space and time at great speeds, but your mind enters a bit of a dream-like state … and you allow it to wander. I remember rounding a corner during that drive, and the Sangre de Cristo mountain range came into full view. Whitecap mountains framed against a clear blue sky.
   Life often feels fleeting. Especially the good moments. I remember driving north, somewhat in awe of the mountain skyline … and for the first time, letting my mind wander, feeling like however small the year and age had made me feel, that in that moment, it felt like everything was alright. Maybe I could let go of my worries, the troubles we drag around behind us for years, lifetimes … in that moment, I felt resilient and hopeful.
   Like any feeling of jubilation, it faded. But, driving north on I-25, I started frantically scribbling the words to the song in my head. Those words scribbled on the drive that day remain mostly unchanged in the song that ultimately became Paper Thin. This is the final song on an album that is unbearably dark in spots … it was really important to me that we end the album with a glimmer of fleeting hope illuminating all the darkness that came before it. ‘Paper Thin’ serves as a moment of hope on Standing Eight Count. Equal parts resilient and resigned.
   Musically we really wanted to make sure we gave this song space. The instrumentation is super sparse, but in typical Instant Empire fashion, the song builds into something big … nearly exploding towards the end, in perfect harmony to the lyrical sentiment that comes along with the joy of letting go … of finally being at ease. This seemed the perfect and logical end to the album. We hope you find something in it …"
 
     “Paper Thin” by Instant Empire
Lyrics of “Paper Thin” by Instant Empire
Yeah, I'd been going through a rough patch
But on the final day of the year
Under the Sangre de Cristos
The air was crisp and clear
Those whitecaps were majestic
I was walking on tiptoes
A clarity came over me
I was open and exposed
 
Everything was bigger than me
And taller than I'd ever be
As far as my eyes could see
I felt invisible, floating on the breeze
I know this feeling will eventually pass
Always terrible with my first drafts
But in the moment
I felt sun splashed
Tiny in a world so vast
 
I am so paper thin
That a strong gust of wind might send me
Spinning and skimming
And eventually I'll sink within
It'll end me
But not today
Oh, not today
Oh, not today
This is not the day
That'll end me
 
I'm at ease!
And the captain,
It is not something that I have to be
And if I’m lost at sea
Well then that's alright
Even if we lose the light
And for once in my life
I'm at ease


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful song, lyrics and music. I’m so glad you brought this song and the Instant Empire band to our attention. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete