Friday, July 14, 2023

“Tripping” by The American Hotel System – A Song Feature

 

     The force majeure of 2020, which compelled many of us to adopt a more reclusive lifestyle, hindered our abilities to fulfill the obligations outlined in our social contracts. Being essentially confined to our homes as shut-ins, any weaknesses in the defense against mental health challenges were exposed. Music is a reflection of life, so it isn’t surprising that there is an increase in the number of songs that address diminished well-being. Each song deserves recognition for the courageousness in unveiling personal vulnerabilities. Then, there is a small subset of songs that individually shine as a musical gem. The American Hotel System, a five-member Rock band based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, owns one of those shining gems.  
 
     “Tripping” is a travel through engaging sceneries. After an attention-attracting intro, the song from The American Hotel System showcases the vocal strength of the band. The song would do well as a vocals-driven single. But the vocals enhance the depth of the emotion in the lyrics (which will be explored and explained by the writer (Jacob Betts) below). Notably, partially through each of the four lines of the first verse, there is a deliberate pause, creating a sense of anticipation that draws the listener into the subject matter.
 
      And the instrumentation is equally praiseworthy as it unfolds. The guitar and percussion are consistently strong. Just after the 1:20 mark, there is a sound of violin plucking (pizzicato). But the highlight occurs at 3:30, as the vocals hold the note for “heart” to overlap the start of a guitar solo.  

      The members of The American Hotel System are Jacob Betts (vocals, guitar), C.T. McCallister (guitar), Samuel Overman (guitar), Hailey Petty (percussion), and Jake LaMotte (bass). In explaining “Tripping,” Betts said:
  In the spring of 2021, I experienced an emotional breakdown. The weight of the previous 18 months finally gave way and I felt like my spirit collapsed in on itself. I made the decision to finally start therapy and was officially diagnosed with OCD, something which I had been fairly certain of for most of my life. One of the major things I started working through were violent intrusive thoughts, most of which involved my wife. I began to fear myself and worried that these thoughts were a reflection of some shadow deep within my heart. For a time, these thoughts made me fear even looking at my wife (“Then my thoughts overcome me, it’s overwhelming to me when I see your face”). I wanted nothing more than to be close with her during this season of emotional and mental stretching, but the early stages of working through the OCD made this incredibly difficult (“You’re what I desire while I’m walking this wire, but my thoughts keep tripping up until they fall”). 
     Betts continued:
  I believe we all have pushes and pulls in life – the things in our past that push us forward and the things in our future that pull us towards tomorrow. As I’ve worked through therapy, the pain in my past has become something I can take joy in as it pushes me forward. In the end, it’s love that sustains me through the trials of life; that is what keeps me moving forward in even the darkest of times.”
 
     “Tripping” by The American Hotel System

Lyrics of “Tripping” by The American Hotel System
I don’t mind when you call me
‘Cuz half our time is spent away
But then my thoughts overcome me
It’s overwhelming to me when I see your face
 
‘Cuz you’re what I desire
While I’m walking this wire
But my thoughts keep tripping up until they fall
My head starts spinning when I hear you call for me
 
I keep running when you call
Then I hear your voice and my heart falls
But then my thoughts overcome me
It’s overwhelming to me when I see your face
 
You’re what I desire
While I’m walking this wire
But my thoughts keep tripping up until they fall
My head starts spinning when I hear you call
As my head spins faster in my mind’s disaster
Yeah, my thoughts keep tripping up until they fall
My head starts spinning when I hear you
 
It’s your love for which I yearn
But I’m still afraid; that’s why I turn
It’s your love I can’t earn
So give me the sparks and watch us burn
 
My heart is a pyre– so let the flames burn higher
Yeah, your love keeps pulling me through the dark
This pain keeps pushing me to your heart
As my head spins faster in my mind’s disaster
Yeah, your love keeps pulling me through the dark
This pain keeps pushing me to your heart
 
Yeah, your love keeps pulling me through the dark
This pain keeps pushing me to your heart


No comments:

Post a Comment