Friday, August 4, 2023

“A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” by Luke Beling – A Song Feature

 

     With each song release, Luke Beling artfully guides his listeners along sonic journeys through various textures. Hailing originally from South Africa and currently finding his inspiration in the embrace of Hawaii, it’s fitting to compare his latest single to an emotionally uplifting experience of riding a wave. “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” mirrors a successful surf on a wave that steadily builds in force before gently releasing the surfer near the shoreline. [Note: Beling’s explanation of the song (which will follow) is far more insightful and motivational.]
 
     “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” commences with a quiet demeanor. The piano is the initial instrumental standout. Almost a minute passes before an electric guitar and gentle female backing vocals enter. An appealing rhythm is added later. And around the two-minute mark, the force behind Beling’s vocals surges. The sophistication and texturing of “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” reach their peaks beginning at 2:38. Yes, that harmonica slides in well with our reference to sophistication. Then, the journey through textures nears its end when the song delivers the listener to the shoreline, as it returns to the beauty from which it started.
 
     The single is the title track from an upcoming debut album from Luke Beling. The multi-instrumentalist contributes vocals, acoustic guitar, banjo, and harmonica on the song “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean.” The female voice belongs to Erin Flood Fortier, while the electric guitar is the contribution of Glen Yoder. Other musicians on the track are Nate Barnes (drums) and Tyler Fortier (vocals, organ, keys, piano, bass).
 
     Beling briefly describes “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” as a song involving “coming to terms with our human frailty in this big universe we call home.” His social media accounts dive deeper into the inspiration behind the song:
  When the sea pounds against a shore of stones, it can often sound like the stones begin to sing. Sometimes a wave will dislodge a stone and drag it to the ocean floor. But eventually, that stone resurfaces, carried by deep currents, back to the bed, shining again underneath the fiery sun.
  Reflecting on this, I wrote A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean as a sort-of stream-of-consciousness declaration to myself. Sharing the same name as the album title, the song is a meaningful preface and encapsulation for the body of work to come.
  From time to time, we all thrash against feelings of insignificance, and often life’s constant pushing and pulling seems unbearable, impossible to make sense of. Sometimes the hardest thing is to just be. To remain unreactive, moving or not, with blind trust and hope.
  Like a stone. Like a stone in the mouth of the ocean.
 
     “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” by Luke Beling


Lyrics of “A Stone in the Mouth of the Ocean” by Luke Beling
All the shadows here still dancing, got to tell my feet to keep moving
Before the merchant screams buy some more
Before the drilling machines find the oil
Before the air I breathe comes heavy for talking
 
All the games I play I keep losing
Trying to tell myself to stop proving
Before the man with glass asks my name
Before the lady’s cash buys my fame
Before my leather mask burns up bright into flames
 
Before the tight rope walker leads me to the slaughter
The bankroll daughter ships me 'cross the border
With a bottle full of bitter
A note from the vicar
Blood on the holy altar
 
All the time I spend understanding
Trying to find my way to keep advancing
Before the ankle tag lights up red
Before the muscled stag lays down dead
Before the sleeping gas pins me to the bed
 
All the darts they keep on flying
Got to find my way to keep trying
Before the needle nights pierce my skin
Before the bookie writes my tally in
Before the closing price knocks me on the chin
 
Before the tight rope walker leads me to the slaughter
The bankroll daughter ships me 'cross the border
With a bottle full of bitter
A note from the vicar
Blood on the holy altar
 
Before the boneyard prison gives me their decision
The old time religion tells me what I’m missing
That ancient tradition
Land of the hidden
Men of the circumcision
 
Before the steamboat captain drowns me in the basin
The war-torn nation tries negotiation
With a proclamation
My condemnation
Stone in the mouth of the ocean
 
I’m a stone in the mouth of the ocean
I'm a stone in the mouth of the ocean
Just a stone in the mouth of the ocean
 
All the shadows here still dancing
Got to tell my feet to keep moving
 

No comments:

Post a Comment