Saturday, July 11, 2020

Riveryard and Pete Gardiner - Free Saturday (“FL&R”)

     Finding songs that can be legally downloaded is easy. The difficult task is to find legally downloadable music that we recommend. Our plan is to post at least one Free, Legal and Recommended (FL&R) song each Saturday.

    The two songs in this post are available thanks to The Animal Farm, which identifies itself as “a forward-thinking independent music company whose 360 range of services include artist management, booking agency, record production, record label and music publishing.”

      Riveryard is an indie trio from Manchester whose chiming, atmospheric guitar lines and plaintive baritone vocals are steeped in the great music tradition of their home town. The members are Simon Holdsworth (vocals, bass), Dom Jakubiak (guitar, vocals), and Lennon Scollick (drums).

     “Backyard” by Riveryard



     Pete Gardiner grew up in Northern Ireland, but is now based in London. He is a poet songwriter. In talking about his latest release, Pete explained:
  “Pick Your Side” is a lot like my last single “Bourbon” in that it begins with introspective observations and self-analysing lyrics before getting onto the big picture and what's really going on in the world.

  The first verse was written out of frustration. I'd been living alone in a caravan for three years with no real association with a town or a community (Long story, but let’s just say I was self isolating long before it was the done thing) and I wasn't feeling inspired. I felt like I was missing all the elements required to write a decent song. The elements that were so easy to come by in my late teens and early 20s when I was surrounded by the colourful cast of criminally insane characters I called my friends back in Northern Ireland. The melodrama and alcohol laden adventures of whom provided the perfect backdrop for any aspiring songwriter.

  But somewhere along the way the realisation kicks in that although my personal life may be a little calmer than it was ten years ago, the rest of the world certainly isn't. I learn quickly that my boredom and lack of inspiration is completely unjustified and that the drama and chaos I believe to be necessary to write a song worth writing are more present than ever: I focus my frustration outward on problems like Brexit, Climate Change, Trump, and more recently Covid 19.

  Everyone's got to pick their side with all of these issues. But it seems no matter which side you're on “there ain't no lucky winners and there's no one keepin' score” – Pete Gardiner

“Pick Your Side” Pete Gardiner

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thepetegardiner

No comments:

Post a Comment