Monday, January 17, 2022

“The Life & Death of John Doe” by The Ghibertins – A Concept Album

 

      As we noted a few years ago, during the 1960s and 1970s music lovers would buy an album, drop the needle, and pay attention to each song. If the album was thematic and the songs were well written, the messaging was recognized and appreciated. In comparison, today most of us look for favorite songs from album releases and allow the other tracks on the albums to become disenfranchised. If an album has a continuing theme and communicates a concept, they are unrecognized. Indie Obsessive admits to being part of the problem and not the solution. We cheer for a return to the days of listening to entire albums, but continue to post only “favorite songs.”
 
     We did listen to each song from “The Life & Death of John Doe,” a concept album from Italy’s The Ghibertins. The 11 tracks include a positive and upbeat “Ropes & Kites” and a heart-touching “Walk Away.” The album traces the life of an individual, who bears the placeholder name “John Doe.” The band’s explanation of the album includes:
   “As much as we try to leave a legacy, a sign of our passage on earth, no one will remember us in 200 years. We are all passing through this world, we are all forgettable, we are all John Doe. Nevertheless, the life of each of us is unique and worth telling. The idea behind this album is that there is one song for every decade of the protagonist’s life; from his conception to his afterlife. Intro begins this unique journey that will allow us to see the fall and the redemption of the main character, putting pen to paper all of the band’s hopes and fears.”
 
      The Ghibertins are based in Milan, Italy. The members are Alessio Hofmann (vocals, acoustic guitar) Lorenzo Rivabella (electric guitar) Lorenzo Di Blasi (keys), Marco “Marva” Vaghi (drums), and Luca Losio (bass). It is difficult to associate the band with the style of another band, since the comparison shifts from one song to the next and sometimes within a single song. For example, “20148 – Milano” reminds us of Bruce Springsteen at times and Imagine Dragon at other times. The album also justifies mentions of Elvis Costello, Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, AWOLNATION, and many more.
 
      Talking about “20148 – Milano,” Alessio Hoffman said,
   “While the band was working on the album, I went on a solo trip to Guangzhou, China. After a couple of weeks, I began to develop a certain sense of alienation. One evening I wanted to find the feelings I needed to feel in order to write the track that represents the fall of the main character, so I took a piece of paper, a pen and rushed through the streets of Taojin. Drink and drink again! This was the goal. Why 20149 - Milano? The next day I found on my piece of paper, 20149 written obsessively over and over again. 20149; my home zip code.”    
        

      The most diverse single on the album is “Ropes & Kites.” The song includes strings, brass (including a trumpet solo), and choirs. In talking about the song, Hoffman noted:
   “’Ropes & Kites’ is by far the most positive track on the whole concept album. It represents the joy felt through the decades of the protagonist’s life from his sixties to seventies. We wanted the listener to literally float in the air while listening to this song. I’ve imagined all the emotion you could feel whilst watching your nephews playing on your house’s front porch. I’ve imagined how it would feel, despite all the mistakes, to finally understand what happiness is. That overwhelming sense of awareness, it’s all in Ropes & Kites."



Lyrics of “20149 – Milano”
Tonight, this street will be my bedroom
and my shame my only companion.
Concrete on my face while my head is on fire
And I know I’ve stopped believing there’s no use to keep on trying.
Let’s have a toast to the past, to bad choices, to chance and my failures and if love don’t cost a thing, why are you turning away from me?
 
You, you gave me something you gave me all the time to erase you, you gave me all the time to erase you.
 
I’m ready to cry for what I've done
and I’m ready for all that is yet to be.
People passing by, I must be quite a show!
The man who stopped believing, there’s no use to keep from laughing
Let’s have a toast to the past, to bad choices, to chance and my failures and if love don’t cost a thing, why are you turning away from me?
 
You, you gave me something you gave me all the time to erase you, you gave me all the time to erase you.
 
I feel, this burden is hard to bear.
It’s real, I’m drinking all my life away.
 
Lyrics of “Ropes & Kites”
I must say I was lucky to find something out of nothing
that’s why I’m singing now...
So if I chose to live, defying gravity
would you lie and tell it’s a game I can win?
Best lies stay close to the truth
 
And I feel as high as a kite, waiting for this lightning to strike
You may think it can hurt, well watch me as I burn; I’m alright!
Mmmmmh, mmmmmmmmh, mmmmmmh
 
It’s nice to know these empty roads will always lead me back to you I’ll reach you everywhere you go, I swear I will.
I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know
where are we going through
 
And I feel as high as a kite
you’re the rope that holds me tight
You’re always by my side.
We’ll fly, fly so high.
Oooooooh, Ooooooooh, Oooooooh
 
When I’m lost, in the shadows, when I’m down on my knees
You’re the light, you’re the light, you’re my light
When I’m lost, in the shadows, bring me back and let me see
You’re the light, you’re the light, you’re my light

No comments:

Post a Comment