Friday, September 9, 2022

“Opium Boy” by ka lok – A Song Feature

      “Opium Boy” is dynamic in multiple dimensions. In terms of song length, the debut release from ka lok progresses through a series of intensities. Tribal percussion is often showcased and conveys empowerment. On the other hand, the conclusion is calming and dream-like. The song’s beginning resides between empowerment and surreal, as a forceful heartbeat rhythm provides a foundation for the vocals and other instrumentation.

 

      The single is additionally dynamic in its contrast of the vocals to the instrumentation. This contrast is more subtle, but there is often a mismatch in their levels of urgency. For example, at 2:13, despite the temporary relaxation of the percussion, there is an urgency that isn’t aligned with the more laid-back, yet in-your-face, approach to the delivery of the lyrics.

 

     Even with headphones set at a reasonable volume, “Opium Boy assaults your ears, but it is willingly accepted. Somewhere there is a cinematic scene in search of “Opium Boy.”

 

     ka lok is the Cantonese name of Dalton Lam, who is based in Regina, Saskatchewan. And “Opium Boy” was a nickname given to him during high school. He explains:

  “The song is about my anxiety during the height of covid lockdown in 2020, as well as the resurgence of racism I had not felt since I was in high school. I remember processing the rising xenophobia I had seen directed toward Chinese people on social media in the summer of 2020. This brought back memories of being uncomfortable with being Chinese in my hometown. Opium Boy was a nickname I had been given by students older than me in my high school. This was in reference to the opium problem that China had suffered during the 17th - 20th century. I would always let them call me Opium Boy because it was a way for me to be accepted and because I was afraid to speak up. The more time I spent on social media, the more I became afraid of how people in my city would view me. I remember stepping into a grocery store and being unable to make eye contact with other people, afraid they would judge me for being Chinese. I remember seeing old people around the city give me dirty looks, but for the most part, I never ran into any conflict, which I am grateful for.”

 

      “Opium Boy” by ka lok



Lyrics of “Opium Boy” by ka lok

Do you feel the quake

move across your face

Let the rushing waves

fill every vein.

 

Can you hear the wake?

Do you hear your name?

Let it resonate

Don’t let it go to waste

 

You’ve been so afraid

of the change that this will bring

Oh you know you can’t stay

no, not in this state

 

You’d rather be still

You can’t let go

With your eyes fixed so low

you won’t find your way home

 

It's so unbearable, every cell on every screen

Filling your head with fire, until you want to scream

Open up your eyes, you’ve become the ones you hate

You’re the same, you’re the same, you’re the same

 

Hide from the feeling

Hide from the feeling

Hide from the feeling

Hide from the feeling

Hide from the feeling

Hide from the feeling


No comments:

Post a Comment