Tuesday, January 24, 2023

“Get Away” by Almost Barely – A Song Feature


     Could he showcase another riff-heavy sequence beyond what we’ve heard already? That would be a fair question to skeptically ask two minutes into “Get Away.” Turns out the answer is an emphatic “Yes!” In fact, Almost Barely saves the most energized and energizing guitars for the final 30 seconds.
 
     Almost Barely features spirited guitar through much of “Get Away.” But the power of the layered guitars at the 2:26 mark is setup by preceding transitions that occur in three 10-second increments. At 1:56, the lead vocals drop and the backing vocals are “distanced.” Ten seconds later, one guitar transitions out. After another 10 seconds (2:16), the vocals stop and the guitar picks up the slack, but not to the extent that the abruptness of the final power surge is telegraphed.

     Of course, we do not recommend watching the timer while listening to “Get Away.” But we do want to tip our hat to the composition and performance skills of Almost Barely, who generates his music in his San Francisco studio apartment. Almost Barely is the moniker of Ty Cassutt. Interestingly he says:
  I decided when quarantine started that I was going to pursue making music. I had no experience before that, but started learning the guitar right away. Once I got to the point where I was good enough to play rhythm and melody I started to learn to produce. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not a musician, I just make songs.”
 
     “Get Away” by Almost Barely



No comments:

Post a Comment