Friday, April 14, 2023

“Hellbent” by Portair – A Song Feature

 

     The vocal range, vocalization diversity, and the commitment-to-message positively distinguish “Hellbent” from other vocals-driven songs that are important to our playlists. But the ear-catching use of the kickdrum is also worthy of praise. Kickdrums are similar to choirs in their ability to attract a listener’s attention to a song. Still, the listener will only lean into the song if the integration of the kickdrum or choir with the other song elements is melodically appealing or emotionally invigorating. Each time we play “Hellbent,” we lean in.
 
     The lyrics of the single from Portair are included in this post. As his explanation of “Hellbent,” Portair said:
  It’s an uplifting song about pushing on when times are tough. Despite the onslaught of obstacles life throws at you, it’s about being hellbent on moving on.”
 
     Portair shows equal comfort in different vocal registers as “Hellbent” progresses. Perhaps, most impressive is the gentleness and sincerity during the first minute with the lines “And all the dust my lungs have borne //  I am bent on running through these walls.” The song then bursts into a rousing chorus – “I’m reborn…”
 
      As noted, the kickdrum plays an important role. A steady beat is first heard during the first 20 seconds of “Hellbent.” But the highlight is around the 1:24 mark, when the kickdrum leads the charge into the next verse, which includes a subtle crescendo.
 
     Portair is from Australia, but he is now based in Los Angeles. His bio is interesting:
  You probably haven’t heard of Portair. But as this solo act’s name would suggest, his music has been wafting around you, hidden in plain ear-sight, for years. As a songwriter and a producer, he’s had tracks and scores placed on networks such as Netflix, NBC, MTV, CBS. Those were merely experimentations. “When I moved to LA, I wanted to start something organic,” the Aussie native says. “This project is all my passions I can express in one cohesive art form.”
  Although he’s ready to go public, Portair would rather let his music speak for itself. It’s an alluring introduction to a natural storyteller, whose earthy folk-pop wades through life’s pain to discover its harmony. “It is always difficult writing such personal things and knowing the people closest to me will speculate that they played a part in that,” Portair says almost bashfully. “For me, this is a cathartic outlet. I hope it can be that for other people, too.”
 
     “Hellbent” by Portair



Lyrics of “Hellbent” by Portair
I’ve got the strangest feeling crawling, crawling
In the back of my mind
And I know I’ve long heard it calling, calling
It’s a reckless sun about to rise
 
And all the dust my lungs have borne
I am bent on running through these walls
 
I’m reborn
Open your eyes
Look at the signs we ignored
All of the times we never tried to let go
All of the times we never tried to let go
 
I still have not seen Heaven yet
But I’m hellbent on moving ahead
 
And it runs within the bloodline
Days were lost, stolen away
Floating hazy down the coastline
Tryna catch a light that calms the sway
 
On the stones I tread and skin I’d torn
I’m bent on running through these walls
 
I’m reborn
Open your eyes
Look at the signs we ignored
All of the times we never tried to let go
All of the times we never tried to let go
 
I still have not seen Heaven yet
But I’m hellbent on moving ahead
 
We’re moving on, moving on
We’re moving on, moving on
We’re moving on, moving on
We’re moving on, moving on
 
I still have not seen Heaven yet
But I’m hellbent on moving ahead
 

No comments:

Post a Comment