Thursday, June 22, 2023

“SHADOW” by SAMSARA – A Song Feature

 

     From the initial bars of the song, it is immediately evident that “SHADOW” is hook-heavy Rock. Based in New York, SAMSARA wastes no time as the guitar kicks in and is soon joined by power percussion. Then as the song progresses, the band flexes other muscles. Their compositional skills shine through beginning at 1:44 with the uncompleted statement “Sometimes I feel okay, sometimes I feel alright, but then I just think back to that godforsaken…” At that time, the guitar that introduced the song makes a modified return, leading “SHADOW” into melodic dark territory. The vocals soon exhibit a strength and sustainability that only a select number of bands can match (Nothing But Thieves comes to mind). At 2:29, the song returns to its original upright driving position.
 
       The instruments and vocals are aligned with the lyrics. Has he been wronged? The most telling lines include the bookends to the above-mentioned uncompleted statement:
I see you in the shadow
Every time I close my eyes
And I wonder if I’ll ever see you
In the same light
Sometimes I feel okay
Sometimes I feel alright
But then I just think back
To that godforsaken night
 
      The members of SAMSARA are Dylan Trif, (lead vocals), Charlie LoMonaco (guitar, background vocals), John Devito (bass), Ben Bustamante (drums, background vocals), and Brendan Sandhovel (rhythm guitar). Their bio explains, “Charlie, Ben and John began playing music together at an early age through a local music school.  Years later they connected with Dylan and Brendan and formed what is now SAMSARA.” They draw their influence from several styles including grunge, funk, metal and alternative. SAMSARA's “alt sound” weaves grunge with today's modern rock.
 
     “SHADOW” by SAMSARA


No comments:

Post a Comment