Tuesday, June 27, 2023

“Things You Never Said” by Hello Sister – A Song Feature

 

     It is easy to be enamored with their music before being charmed by their backstory. All within the initial 30 seconds of “Things You Never Said,” Hello Sister sequentially showcase their vocal prowess, feature a strong bass line, add power percussion, and ultimately unveil an electrifying guitar riff. Upon reaching a drop at the end of that intro, Hello Sister has built a high expectation upon which the body of “Things You Never Said” delivers.
 
     Lyrically, “Things You Never Said” intelligently addresses the challenges of how to operate within a toxic relationship. A portion of the lyrics are included at the bottom of this post. The vocal passion embraces the difficulties of the situation, and the instrumentation is consistently strong.
 
     The backstory? The members of Hello Sister are three sisters under the age of 17. They share the surname Mason. They are Grace (16) the bassist and lead vocalist, Gabriella (15) the electric guitarist, and Scarlett,14 the drummer. Hellos Sister is based in Orlando, Florida. 

     In an explanation of their song “Things You Never Said,” Hello Sister said:
  “’Things You Never Said’ brushes on the harsh truth of toxic friendships. It can be so hard when the ones you love so much are the same ones who end up stabbing you in the back. Writing this song was definitely a journey, with the first step being acceptance and denial. Was I just seeing things, or was my friend actually intentionally doing these things to hurt me? The second stage: why? What have I done wrong to ever be treated this way? And by someone I care about? And then stage 3: plan of action, do I speak up? (something I never ended up doing… which is why we have a song about it, LOL). I was completely aware of what she was doing to me, but at the same time, I just couldn’t picture myself ruining a friendship that mattered so much to me.
   Plus, it was hard to stand up to her, because what could even be said? I had no proof, because everyone around me wasn’t seeing this same version of her. I guess all I could come up with was “I know all the things you never said.” 
 
     “Things You Never Said” by Hello Sister




Selected Lyrics of “Things You Never Said” by Hello Sister
You're the other half of my heart
Then you tear it apart
I'm falling into pieces
 
Wanna shut you out but I need you
Run away?
You'll always find me
 
I wish that you would light that fire
No one would have to find me
Why’s it so hard to live in the flames?
You find a way to burn it out
 
Nothing's a secret
A journal’s just things you never said
Not hiding from people
I know all the things you never said
You never said
You never said
Things you never said
You never said
 

No comments:

Post a Comment