Monday, May 20, 2024

“Helium” and “Headphones by Orbit 17 – Song Features

 

     Orbit 17, a creative force hailing from San Jose, California, has been prolific, with the Bandcamp release of a song in each of the first 5 months of 2024. The latest two releases are particularly strong. The group is adventuresome in its wonderings from the conventions of Indie Rock, but not so far that music lovers are in danger of feeling lost. For example, “Helium” is written in Lydian Dominant, which is rare in Indie music, but there is a familiarity because it’s a scale often used in dramatic movie scores. Thus, the song’s departure from the norm carries some familiarity and a cinematic quality.
 
        “Helium” features multiple opportunities to appreciate the guitar skills of Orbit 17. The first two sandwich the chorus – a chorus build-up begins 42 seconds into the song and a clearly distinguishable but equally strong guitar solo starts at 1:29. The lyrics are also a strength. They reflect a nostalgic and sad car ride to the airport, not knowing when or if the person will see a loved one again. More broadly, the band explains “Helium” as:
  “A song about all those friends we've made but left behind or outgrown. The ones that made huge impacts on our lives, and that we think of from time to time, yet haven't spoken to in years.”
 
     Although the single “Headphones” is lyrically less clear, the band’s explanation is not – “A song about my favorite thing in the world, music!” Its more than 5-minute duration accommodates a longer guitar solo.
 
     Orbit 17 was founded by Jamie Brite (vocals, guitar) and Misha Guiffre (bass) in 2022. Jamie said that it had been 17 orbits around the sun since she last started a band; thus, the band name. Ryan Senft (drums) joined in 2023. Orbit 17 exploits the capabilities of modern technology while remaining emotionally grounded and accessible. The group explores unusual territory for popular music, often featuring odd time signatures and uncommon use of harmony.
 
     “Helium” by Orbit 17
Lyrics of “Helium” by Orbit 17
Lives reflected in your eyes
Seems we're saying our goodbyes
Just for a while
Don't be sad
Know I'll be thinking of you
 
Wait my car will be here soon
Brood in the glow of the moon
Say your piece
Before I'm gone
Hope you'll keep waiting for me
 
Just 30 minutes to the airport
It's an eternity
Clutch it tighter as you feel it slip away
 
Sit in silence for a while
Dashboard counts another mile
Streetlights blur
Just outside
I hope you won't forget me
 
Think of all the times we've had
Trading stories with your dad
What a day
What a life
Why did I ever leave you?
 
Just 15 minutes to the airport
It's an eternity
Clutch it tighter as you feel it slip away
Just 60 seconds to the airport
What an eternity
Hold it tight but it's already slipped away

     “Headphones” by Orbit 17

Lyrics of “Headphones” by Orbit 17
Perfume
of stale beer
Radio is dancing in my ear
Only plays the songs I want to hear
 
Turn
your amp up bang your drums
Can you give us all a song to hum?
So you think you’re gonna be so someone?
Anyone?
 
Put those headphones on
The world drones on around you
Three steps and you’re gone
Just one more day to stumble through
 
Andromeda
Is that you rising in the eastern sky?
Your stars that prophesied our long goodbye
You couldn’t bother even tell me why?
Can’t you tell me why?
 
Polaris
Enlighten me you know I need you now
You asked but I couldn’t answer how
Wipe the worry off of my troubled brow
Would we allow?
 
Antares
Why is it you have led me so astray?
I never thought that you would dare betray
I had to ask you but you wouldn’t say
You wouldn’t say
 
Alrescha
Shows over, heading home
Tonight I just don’t want to be alone
I just wanted a place to call my own
No matter where me life led me to roam
The seeds of karma have all been sown
Is there no way that I could just atone?
I finally done something you can’t condone
You know I never wanted to disown
My only home

1 comment:

  1. Great read and nice to discover some different music.

    ReplyDelete