The
rousing track from Tom Sless is a masterful genre blend, seamlessly weaving
together elements of Blues, Rock, and a touch of Gospel, while paying homage to
Soul through a clever twist of the defining lines from an R&B classic. Specifically,
“Don't Save My Soul” salutes the 1971 Bill Withers’ breakthrough hit with
“I know, I know, I know, I know // Ain't no sunshine in her home //…// But
that hellfire keeps me warm.”
Bill Withers’ “Ain't No Sunshine” lamented about the loss of warmth and light when the woman he loves is gone (and she’s always gone too long). In comparison, the protagonist in “Don't Save My Soul” receives warmth for a “hellfire” in a relationship that is as seductive as it is destructive. Tom Sless explains:
“’Don't
Save My Soul’ is a rock anthem about choosing the wrong person and
meaning every word of it. Religious imagery, hellfire, a chorus built for a
room of a thousand people.”
Tom Sless is a Dallas-based Rock artist, former Deloitte accountant, who quit everything, bought a van, and spent years driving up and down America playing every room he could find before signing with LIGHTWORK. He writes like Springsteen at his most working class and road worn, with the theatrical presence of Freddie Mercury and the dark romantic soul of Hozier. One song is hellfire gothic romance, the next is wide open American summer. The range is the point. It all sounds like the same artist telling a bigger story.
“Don't Save My Soul” by Tom Sless
Bill Withers’ “Ain't No Sunshine” lamented about the loss of warmth and light when the woman he loves is gone (and she’s always gone too long). In comparison, the protagonist in “Don't Save My Soul” receives warmth for a “hellfire” in a relationship that is as seductive as it is destructive. Tom Sless explains:
Tom Sless is a Dallas-based Rock artist, former Deloitte accountant, who quit everything, bought a van, and spent years driving up and down America playing every room he could find before signing with LIGHTWORK. He writes like Springsteen at his most working class and road worn, with the theatrical presence of Freddie Mercury and the dark romantic soul of Hozier. One song is hellfire gothic romance, the next is wide open American summer. The range is the point. It all sounds like the same artist telling a bigger story.
“Don't Save My Soul” by Tom Sless
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tomsless
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tomsless
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tomsless
Lyrics of “Don't Save My Soul” by Tom Sless
Been following, following my footsteps
To lands I've never known
Tomorrowing and borrowing the goodness
Of black sheep in wolf's clothes
She's their fallen angel
Melting hellbent cold hearts made of the stone
Trust me, I know
Not all kings are noble
Not all thrones are gold
Sometimes heaven comes down
To rob you of your soul
She can't wear the white dress
Her crown is made of snakes
But I'll choose her and the underworld
If they call me to the gates
Don't save my soul
Watch me swear to God from inferno
He ain't even seen the things I know
The love I can't let go
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Alright
I'm known as a man of honor
But on her I'm divine
Low down floating down her river
Knelt down at her shrine
Whispering her curses
Salivation, salvation over wine
That's what I like, yeah
Not all queens are royal
Not all tales are told
Sometimes heaven comes down
To rob you of your soul
She won't wear the white dress
Her crown is made of snakes
But I'll choose her and the underworld
If they call me to the gates
Don't save my soul
Watch me swear to God from inferno
He ain't even seen the things I know
The love I can't let go
Don't save my soul
Don't save my
I know, I know, I know, I know
Ain't no sunshine in her home
I know, I know, I know, I know
But that hellfire keeps me warm
I know, I know, I know, I know
Ain't no sunshine in her home
I know, I know, I know, I know
But that hellfire keeps me warm
Don't save my soul
Watch me swear to God from inferno
He ain't even seen the things I know
The love I can't let go
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Woah, don't save my soul
Oh, oh, oh…
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Been following, following my footsteps
To lands I've never known
Tomorrowing and borrowing the goodness
Of black sheep in wolf's clothes
Melting hellbent cold hearts made of the stone
Trust me, I know
Not all thrones are gold
Sometimes heaven comes down
To rob you of your soul
Her crown is made of snakes
But I'll choose her and the underworld
If they call me to the gates
Watch me swear to God from inferno
He ain't even seen the things I know
The love I can't let go
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Alright
But on her I'm divine
Low down floating down her river
Knelt down at her shrine
Salivation, salvation over wine
That's what I like, yeah
Not all tales are told
Sometimes heaven comes down
To rob you of your soul
Her crown is made of snakes
But I'll choose her and the underworld
If they call me to the gates
Watch me swear to God from inferno
He ain't even seen the things I know
The love I can't let go
Don't save my soul
Don't save my
Ain't no sunshine in her home
I know, I know, I know, I know
But that hellfire keeps me warm
I know, I know, I know, I know
Ain't no sunshine in her home
I know, I know, I know, I know
But that hellfire keeps me warm
Watch me swear to God from inferno
He ain't even seen the things I know
The love I can't let go
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Woah, don't save my soul
Oh, oh, oh…
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul
Don't save my soul

No comments:
Post a Comment