Tuesday, November 7, 2017

“Cheer Up Charlie” by The Social Animals – A Song Review

     “Cheer Up Charlie” is a masterpiece of contrast. The verses are melodic, but the vocals are low energy and raspy. Moreover, the voice is overdubbed, but not always in synchronization with the original track. The sentence “Cheer up Charlie” starts each verse and is followed by self-reflection, often wrapped around an admission. Then, the chorus arrives with high energy and voice clarity.

     The contrast in the track from The Social Animals is felt in the instrumental support. During the verses, the percussion might swell temporarily, but the mood typically suits that of the lower energy vocals. In comparison, the chorus is accompanied by features that establish an uptempo vibe, particularly during the later portion of “Cheer Up Charlie.” Still, the uptempo vibe carries lyrics that are a long distance from upbeat, providing a second layer of contrast.

     “Cheer Up Charlie” represents the thinking of a person left questioning a breakup. During the relationship, he was bothered when she would address him by referencing his middle name – Cheer up Charlie. Now, he misses the teasing. He even uses the nickname when he talks to himself in the middle of the night. In describing “Cheer Up Charlie,” vocalist Dedric Clark said the song “is as raw and personal as I get. I recorded the vocal in a haze on an iPad in one go before I really knew the lyrics. Feels a little like looking through your texts after a long night of drinking; you can delete them, but the other person still has them.”

     The members of The Social Animals are Dedric Clark (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Tony Petersen (backing vocals, guitar), Boyd Smith (drums), and Roger Whittet (backing vocals, bass). They identify their hometown as Duluth, Minnesota, although they are from different towns around Duluth (Esko, Cloquet and Land of Lakes).
     “Cheer Up Charlie” was released via Folsom Records. The song will be a track on the band’s debut album, which is scheduled to drop in early 2018.  

“Cheer Up Charlie” by The Social Animals


Lyrics of “Cheer Up Charlie” by The Social Animals
Cheer up, Charlie
That’s what she used to say when the numbers were low
Knocking on my door with a box of Merlot.

Cheer up, Charlie
I only feel guilty at night
It must be something about how the window shades turn to ghosts
When I turn out the light.

Well she was poking at the circles underneath my eyes, she said,
"This is how somebody tells that somebody tries--too hard"

Cheer up, Charlie
That's what she used to say to make fun of my middle name
Charles is too serious
And Chuck ain't the same

Cheer up, Charlie
Oh, it used to make me so mad
Now I wish she'd just call me and say it again
Wish she'd just call me and say it again

Cause she was poking at the circles underneath my eyes, she said,
"This is how somebody tells that somebody tries--too hard"
Well she was poking at the circles underneath my eyes, she said,
"This is how somebody tells that somebody tries--too hard"

Cheer up, Charlie
That's what I say to myself in the mirror in the middle of the night
Yeah, I've been drinking
But I'm all right

Cheer up, Charlie
I know I ruined it and it's never going to change
But you could at least tell me why
You could at least, at least tell me why
And she said,

You know why, you know why.
You know why, you just don't want to say it.
You know why, you know why.
You know why, you just don't want to say it.
You know why. You know why.
You know why, you just don't want to say it to me.
[Repeat]


No comments:

Post a Comment