Saturday, February 12, 2022

"Sweet Home" by SYML – A Song Feature

 

      When talking about “Sweet Home,” SYML repeatedly returns to the theme of nostalgia. He explains that working through the song and its video brought a better understanding of nostalgia as SYML explored the theme and its application to the feeling of being “home.” Whether it was intended or not, the theme is furthered by harmonies with qualities that are aligned with the warm and lush harmonies of early Crosby, Stills & Nash. Perhaps the closest to parallel is the 1969’s “Helplessly Hoping.” The melodies, instrumentation, and lyrics are not related, but the harmonies during the chorus of “Sweet Home” carry the artistry and beauty that characterize the CSN song,
      The early verses of “Sweet Home” are supported by gentle acoustic guitar. In its second half, the song visits the orchestral textures. The thunder of the bass drum is particularly effective.
 
     SYML is the project of Brian Fennell. “Sweet Home” was recorded in his hometown of Seattle, Washington. He said about the single:
  “’Sweet Home’ is never one place. It is never one person. It is a collision, beautiful and hideous, of every place and every person that we entangle ourselves with that allows us to recognize ‘home’. This song feels cozy and nostalgic, like the nostalgia of something good is enough to carry us through any storm. That is home.”
 
     Regarding the video, SYML explained:
  “This video is about my memories of home. The obvious starting point was my childhood home. When we got there, I was expecting some big feelings, but my memory of that place had changed so much that it all felt a bit dull. We visited other important places like the university where I studied music education and met my longtime mentor who helped shaped me as a musician. We stood outside an iconic Seattle venue (The Crocodile Cafe) and the house where I lived and wrote the first SYML songs, and it all felt strange. It’s not like these places lost their significance in my life, but they are no longer mine. New people fill those spaces and the idea of sharing nostalgia made me a bit sad."
  “We ended the shoot day at my house with my family. Being grounded for the past two years has certainly given me a new sense of home. What’s crazy is that even within the familiarity I have here, my home is changing every day. Babies are born, pets are adopted, little projects around the house . . . always changing."
  “Of course, part of the reason for this video was to share important pieces of my life. I didn’t anticipate that it would help me understand nostalgia better."
 
     "Sweet Home" by SYML

Lyrics of "Sweet Home" by SYML
Never have I seen a place
That reminds me of your face
Til I heard it call to me
Like a phone call from a friend
 
Set in silence like a prayer
If these walls could breathe the air
They would sing a song of love
And how it sometimes has to end
 
Welcome home
Your last and only one
Never more to roam
Have no fear
If you don't see the sun
I will hold you close
Welcome home
You are home
No nothing tastes like sweet
Sweet home
 
Letters written in the den
Folded news and coffee cans
Simple things that I recall
Not forgotten easily
 
Dog is passed out on the lawn
He will miss me when I'm gone
He won't speak what he has seen
Like the walls surrounding me
 
Welcome home
Your last and only one
Never more to roam
Have no fear
If you don't see the sun
I will hold you close
Welcome home
You are home
No nothing tastes like sweet
Sweet home
 
Welcome home
Your last and only one
Never more to roam
Have no fear
If you don't see the sun
I will hold you close
Welcome home
You are home
No nothing tastes like sweet
Nothing tastes like sweet
No nothing tastes like sweet
Sweet home

 TOUR DATES:
Mar 4               Copenhagen, DK        Hotel Cecil
Mar 5               Oslo, NO                     Parkteatret
Mar 6               Stockholm, SE            Sodra Teatern
Mar 8               Hamburg, DE              Elbphilharmonie Recital Hall (SOLD OUT)
Mar 10             London, UK                Union Chapel
Mar 11             Manchester, UK          Deaf Institute (SOLD OUT)
Mar 12             Dublin, IE                    Pepper Canister Church (SOLD OUT)
Mar 31             Winnipeg, MB             The Park Theater *
Apr 1               Calgary, AB                Bella Concert Hall *
Apr 2               Edmonton, CA            Festival Place *
Apr 7               Vancouver, BC           Hollywood Theater *
Apr 8               Victoria, CA                 Alix Goolden Performance Hall *
Apr 20             Los Angeles, CA         Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever (SOLD OUT)
Apr 21             Los Angeles, CA         Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever (SOLD OUT)
Apr 22             Los Angeles, CA         Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever (SOLD OUT)
May 4              Cologne, DE               Kulturkirche (SOLD OUT) *
May 5              Amsterdam, NL          Het Zonnehuis (SOLD OUT) *
May 6              Amsterdam, NL          Het Zonnehuis (SOLD OUT) *
May 8              Zurich, CH                  Plaza *
May 9              Paris, FR                     Café de la Danse (SOLD OUT) *
May 10            Brussels, BE               Les Nuits Botanique *
May 11            Berlin, DE                   Passionskirche (SOLD OUT) *

No comments:

Post a Comment