Friday, October 28, 2022

“Fears We Hold” by Among Authors – A Song Feature

 

      The two most common icebreaker questions presented to all attendees at all-hands corporate events are “What would you tell your younger self if you could?” and “What superpower would you choose for yourself?” Most answers to that first question take the easy approach, such as “Buy stock in Apple.” But there are times when an answer is courageous in its revelation of the person’s imperfections. The willingness to expose your vulnerabilities is something of a superpower, because most of us don’t have the ability to do it.
 
     Among Authors released “Fears We Hold” as an impactful message to the younger self of frontman Ian Ketterer. They explain:
  "’Fears We Hold’ follows lead singer Ian's personal journey about the day-to-day anxiety he's dealt with that last 37 years of his life due to having been born without a thumb on his right hand nor an ear on his right side. The song is written in the perspective of Ian going back to his younger self to let himself know that nobody is out to get him. People often choose to hold onto negative feelings when we should just let go and embrace our differences. Most importantly, it's a song all about embracing what makes each one of us different and unique, and no longer fearing a false-narrative that's often created in our own heads about the opinions we think people have about us.”
 
      Ian posted his story and pictures on Instagram (CLICK HERE). The text is included at the bottom of this post (below the lyrics).
 
     The vocals in “Fears We Hold” are clear, pure, and compelling. And the instrumentation is equally worthy of praise. The song begins with a solemn piano, while other portions are explosive. Interestingly, Among Authors does not include a bassist. The members are Ian Ketterer (lead vocals, keyboards), his brother Jason Ketterer (guitar), Jon Livingston (guitar), and Patrick Brockwell (drums). In “Fears We Hold,” the choir singers are Anna Steinle, Devon Dodgson, and Katie Krupin.
 
     Among Authors is originally from Wisconsin (Mayville, we believe). The band relocated and is now based in Seattle, Washington.
 
     “Fears We Hold” by Among Authors
Lyrics of “Fears We Hold” by Among Authors
Take my hand
And walk with me
I’ll show you something
You won’t believe
 
So give me your worst
How bad could it be
I need you to see
The human in me
 
Someday you will find
The world is bright
And those living their lives
Are not out to get you
 
I’ll lend you my heart
The soles of my feet
I’ve walked through the valley of some false belief
That the world was against me
 
So pull back your hair
And roll up your sleeves
Cause nobody cares
Or sees what you see
 
Someday you will find
The world is bright
No one’s out to get you
 
Just let go
Of the fears you’re holding onto
We both know it’s been years
Where have you gone to
 
Just let go
Just let go
Just let go
Just let go
 
You won’t even know ‘till you try
You won’t even know ‘till you try to let go
You won’t even know ‘till you try
You won’t even know ‘till you try to let go
 
When your whole world comes undone
And you feel you can’t outrun
I’ll pull you through
To a place where self-doubt won’t reach you
 
Posted on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj3ULgSP7vM/
   I have struggled with hiding the right side of my body my entire life. Everything from my clothing style down to my body movements and positions are all so ingrained in my subconscious and all tailor around making sure nobody can see my right hand, or my missing ear on my right side. I have worn long sleeves my entire life, long hair, even the seemingly simplest every day tasks like going to get @starbucks puts my head in a space where without even thinking about it, I am pulling out my card to pay for my drink in a specific way so my right hand isn't seen. Or when talking to people, always positioning myself so the right side is hidden. Oh god don't even get me started with when I am approached by someone to shake their hand with my right hand. You know what I do? I grab their hand with both my hands so that they don't sense that I have a missing thumb on my right hand. I have lived in my own self-doubt my entire life.
 
   As a musician, I have always had this fear that when my band makes it big some day, and we're at some dumb photoshoot, that my big "lie" will be revealed, we'll get kicked off our record label (which we've yet to have) for not being sellable from a look standpoint, and our music career will be over.
 
   That's all nonsense. I have held onto these unnecessary and irrelevant fears for way too long.
 
   This is who I am.
 
   My band Among Authors and I just released a new single called "Fears We Hold" from the perspective of me going back to visit my younger self to tell that fearful kid that the world is bright and nobody is out to get him.
 
   I started playing music so I could work through the fears that come with being stared at on stage. And this song and the way I am releasing it, with photos of everything I was born with, is an extension of that self-therapy.
 
   Don't hold onto fear, embrace what makes you unique, show the world how incredible you are, and above all else, love and trust humankind, and love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment