Wednesday, September 11, 2019

“Hico” by J.B. Boone - A Song Feature


      Wait, did he just clear his throat? Yes, he did! That is not the only quirky feature of “Hico.” The song drops an emphatic “F bomb” and tacks on final seconds that sound as though they belong to the next song. The song benefits from skilled banjo picking, which is explained in the best pitch line of 2019 - "My father taught me everything I know about music, and this song is really special to me because it features him on the banjo - big ending on this one!!”

     J.B Boone explains further:
  This song is really special to me - I wrote it one night ten minutes before playing it live for the first time. I brought it to my dad, and together we co-wrote the guitar and banjo parts to it; it was really special getting to record a song in the studio with my dad, and I'll never forget that.

     To J.B. and his father, we tip our caps. “Hico” is a rousing, unapologetic look back onto the days in Hico, Texas, where the town’s motto is a Cheers-lake "Where Everybody Is Somebody!" It isn’t easy to identify our favorite features of this song, but we will go with the harmony and the banjo.

     “Hico” by J.B. Boone


No comments:

Post a Comment