Thursday, January 23, 2020

“Ding Dong Scrambled Eggs” by Cataldo - A Song Feature


     First a thank you to the always knowledgeable and informative KEXP for bringing the song to our attention. “Ding Dong Scrambled Eggs” was the Seattle-based nonprofit’s Song of the Day on January 17.

     Cataldo is a lyrical innovator with strong melodic skills. In “Ding Dong Scrambled Eggs,” he ties his story to references to the television show “Cheers” and the Stevie Nicks’ hit “Edge of Seventeen.”  The lyrics are included at the bottom of this post. Cataldo is the performance name of Eric Anderson in Seattle. He is originally from Idaho.

     “Ding Dong Scrambled Eggs” by Cataldo





Lyrics of “Ding Dong Scrambled Eggs” by Cataldo
Blind drunk barely making the turn,
Echo-locating my way through the Chinese lanterns.
Bathed in boorish red light
Yeah, tonight's going to be a good night.

I came here straight from work
In my work clothes
With my work friends
Talking work talk
It's the worst
There's that guy who only wears sandals
I guess his face really isn't so bad though

Learned to fuck from a magazine
And to be honest it's been a short path from that
To here dancing to “The Edge of Seventeen”
With charming arms around my waist
But in the morning I'll be making some ding dong scrambled eggs

I don't really want to take him home
In a general sense but tonight hang a left
I live near the end of Gravel Pit Road
It's just like “Cheers” but sad
I'm a great Diane--where's my Sam?

Cuz there was nothing wrong with Walter
He was an ok man
And we had ok friends
But he loved me like a father
Well not *my* father.
And let’s not take that any farther

I learned to fuck from a magazine.
And to be honest it's been a short path from that
To here dancing to “The Edge of Seventeen”
With charming arms around my waist
But in the morning I'll be making some ding dong scrambled eggs

3 comments:

  1. What the hell are ding dong scrambled eggs. I've been listening to this nonstop and I have no idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!!! My guess is that they are scrambled eggs with Ding Dongs mixed in, but cannot say with confidence.

      Delete
    2. I don't think "Ding Dongs" are part of the scrambled eggs. He said "Making some ding dong scrambled eggs", as in making scrambled eggs for a ding dong.

      Delete