Tuesday, June 2, 2020

“Resolutions” by Bengal Lancers - A Song Feature


      The song is a recognition and resolution to be comfortable in your own skin (and skull). “I could be happy here.” Describing the song, Bengal Lancers said,
  “’Resolutions’ is a song of acceptance. Accepting who you are, where you’ve been and being content enough to embrace a future unknown. We spend so much time worrying about how we look or what other people think of us instead of focusing on what’s happening right now, there and then - this song is all about focusing on the moment and being happy in your own head."

      Instrumentally, “Resolutions” begins with layered guitars taking diverse paths. There is a pristinely played higher-frequency guitar and what is probably a bass, along with a guitar that takes a Shoegaze path. The drums don’t enter until our favorite verse:
Unpack that gym bag
Sit down, grab a beer
We’re not getting six-packs
That much it is clear

      The entrance of the drums also accompanies an increase in the intensity level. Then a minute later, another intensity step is taken. This second step is more significant, and the conviction in the resolution is more apparent. In the final 40-plus seconds, the vocals leave and the skillfulness of the Bengal Lancers on their instruments is put on full display.

     The members of London-based Bengal Lancers are Harry Sullivan (vocals, guitar), Max Hutchins (drums), Charlie Hawkins (bass), and Aidan Wickham (guitar).

      “Resolutions” by Bengal Lancers




Lyrics of “Resolutions” by Bengal Lancers (with some best guesses).
In with the old
And out with the new
It’s a brand new tradition
And it’s nothing to do with the start of the new year
So untie your shoes
You’re still the same person
With nothing to lose

And I have resolve
Now I am resolute
That I could be happy here

Unpack that gym bag
Sit down, grab a beer
We’re not getting six-packs
That much it is clear

Ignore facts and fictions
And the chance to improve
You’re still the same person
With nothing to lose

And I have resolve
Now I am resolute
That I could be happy here
With you

You are the resolution I’d love to keep
Ooh you, ooh you
You are the resolution I’d love to keep
Ooh you, ooh you
You are the resolution I’d love to keep
Ooh you, ooh you

I have resolve
And I could be resolute
And I have resolve
And I could be happy here

No comments:

Post a Comment