Monday, January 21, 2013

Ben Howard - A Concert Opportunity

Ben Howard is returning for another U.S. tour.  It starts in N.Y. in February and includes April 14 and 15 performances at the Fillmore in San Francisco.  A trip to a Ben Howard concert proved worthwhile in 2012, and he has added to his setlist since then.

While other songs on his Every Kingdom album received much more attention, our favorite is "Keep Your Head Up."  Dissecting the song, there are a number of reasons to love it: 
     (a.) It's positive, as indicated by the title (coincidentally, "keep your head up" is also a message in "Stubborn Love" by the Lumineers, which is another of our favorites in 2012). 
     (b.) The production adds to the feel of the song.  For example, the "choir" is introduced very effectively at the 2:15 and 3:09 marks.
     (c.)  Ben Howard's voice is a good mix with the other backgroud vocals.  The best example is the portion of the song that starts at 3:09.
     (d.)  We would like to be the type of friend who is introduced after the revelation descibed in the first portion of the song.  The lyrics that start at the 1:50 mark are:

"I saw a friend of mine the other day,
And he told me that my eyes were gleamin'.
Oh I said I had been away, and he knew,
Oh he knew the depths I was meanin'.
And it felt so good to see his face,
Or the comfort invested in my soul.
Oh to feel the warmth of a smile,
When he said "I'm happy to have you home.
Ooh I'm happy to have you home."




"The Fear" is another song that shows his talents - not as positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment