Thursday, December 1, 2016

“Twigs and Stones” by Siskiyou - Throwback Thursday

     In the final seconds of the Thanksgiving episode of the television sitcom “New Girl,” a song started playing in the background. It came with one of those energy surges you experience when a song is recognized but hasn’t been heard for a year or more. Truthfully, the melody and voice were recognized, but the song wasn’t identified until the ending of the sitcom was replayed numerous times.

     The song was “Twigs and Stones” by Siskiyou, a band based in Vancouver. The members are Colin Huebert, Erik Arnesen, Shaunn Watt, Peter Carruthers, and Andrew Lee. The lyrics of the songs (included below) are simple, but poignant. The verses are different descriptions of how the person would be only a shell of himself without his partner. Vocally, the choppiness makes the song more attractive, not less. Instrumentally, we love the horns!


Lyrics of “Twigs and Stones” by Siskiyou
I am a house built out of twigs and stones
I am a house, but I'm not a home

But I got love to give and give, and give and give, and give and give
Yeah, I got love to give and give, and give and give, and give and give

I am storm cloud, but without a lightning bolt to help me see my way
I am rain drop, but without an earth below, I am due to fall apart

But I got love to give and give, and give and give, and give and give
Yeah I got love to give and give, and give and give, and give and give

I am a mountain; not a mountain range without the love from your heart
I am heartbeat but I'm slowing down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down

I got love to give and give, and give and give, and give and give
Yeah I got love to give and give, and give and give, and give and give

No comments:

Post a Comment