Tuesday, April 2, 2019

“Carry a Light” by CIVILIANA – A Song Feature

     The intro of “Carry a Light” is ear-catching, as a high-pitch guitar contrasts against lower frequency, darker and more prolonged keyboard notes, building anticipation for the body of the song. The single from CIVILIANA delivers on that anticipation. The band includes multiple members with the ability to contribute to the vocals, the lyrical subject matter is meaningful, and the instrumental support is “musically tight.”

     The percussion in “Carry a Light” seldom ventures outside its essentials, but the consistency creates a stability in a song about the mental burden left after a romantic separation. When discussing the subject matter, the band explained, “The eagerness to move on is stunted by memories and romantic withdrawals left behind from past lovers.” The percussion projects stability, but the same does not apply to the other instruments, particularly the dark keyboard play.

     “Carry a Light” is the first of three CIVILIANA singles queued for 2019 releases.

      CIVILIANA is based in Vancouver, British Columbia. The members are Calen Trentini (lead vocals, drums), Adam Wilson (guitar, vocals), Spencer Daley (bass, guitar, keys), and Daniel Ponich (guitar, keys, percussion). Quoting the description of the band’s interesting history:
  The origins of CIVILIANA began in a high school band class in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. It was there that aspiring drummer Calen Trentini met future bassist Spencer Daley. As they learned their chosen instruments side by side, they soon formed a duo before adding their friend Adam Wilson – a guitarist from a neighbouring high school – into the mix.
  After high school, the trio went their separate ways before reconnecting in Vancouver as adults in 2015. CIVILIANA was formed a few months later with Calen’s potent vocals and kinetic drumming skills anchored by Spencer’s technical aptitude on bass and keys along with Adam’s supporting vocals and seamless songwriting fusion of pure alt-rock with modern electronic influences.
  Feeling empowered to turn their shared musical passions into a professional pursuit, the group recorded their first EP “Out the Window” in 2016 with producer and former high school classmate Daniel Ponich. This collaboration proved to be serendipitous as Daniel subsequently joined the band, providing guitar, key, and percussion elements that proved to be the group’s missing link.

     “Carry a Light” by CIVILIANA


Lyrics of “Carry a Light” by CIVILIANA
I got a ball and chain
Inside these hallowed veins
On to something else
Or just the same

I’m over it
I’m over you
But then I heard your voice

You left me waiting all alone
Don’t tell me nothing’s ever wrong
[Repeat]

You left me waiting
(Carry a light in, carry a light in)
You left me waiting, all alone
(Tell me about it, tell me about it)
Don’t tell me nothing
(Carry a light in, carry a light in)
Don’t tell me nothing’s ever wrong
(Tell me about it, tell me about it)

There’s a growing lot
Awaiting what was lost
Their tethered to before
Their ships had hit the rocks
I’d be over it
I’d be over you
But then I heard your voice

You left me waiting
(Carry a light in, carry a light in)
You left me waiting, all alone
(Tell me about it, tell me about it)
Don’t tell me nothing
(Carry a light in, carry a light in)
Don’t tell me nothing’s ever wrong
(Tell me about it, tell me about it)

You left me waiting, all alone
(Carry a light in, carry a light in)
Don’t tell me nothing’s ever wrong
(Tell me about it, tell me about it)
[Repeat]

(Carry a light in, carry a light in)
(Tell me about it, tell m
e about it)
[Repeat]




No comments:

Post a Comment