Friday, April 19, 2019

“Get Away” (ft. Doc Merlin) by Timi Temple – A Song Feature


     “Get Away” is driven by an ear-arresting hook that functions as the rhythm section, allowing the percussion to freelance during the verses (employing an attitude akin to “I’ve got a kickdrum and I’m not afraid to use it!”). The instruments reside in the lower frequencies while the vocals play in the upper range, establishing an engaging timbral contrast.

     “Get Away” is a song from Sydney’s TIMI TEMPLE and his mate Doc Merlin. The single includes well-timed synth sprinkles that brighten the melody, until the final forty seconds in which the synth demands a more significant role. Interestingly, the vocals are the highlight of “Get Away,” despite mixing that slightly accents the rhythmic hook over the voices. During verses, the two voices are easily distinguished. In comparison, the chorus of “Woah…” is more of a vocal blend/choir. It’s an effective combination.

     Quoting interesting content about the single:
  “‘Get Away’ by TIMI TEMPLE is a song about escaping reality into the digital world of games allowing yourself to be whoever you want to be. It’s a brooding psych infused slow burner that absolutely goes off live!”
  “I’ve got a friend, Doc Merlin, with whom’ve been mates for 23 years... He’s now a PHD in immunology & professor at University of Sydney. I’m just a humble musician, but long ago, we played music together throughout primary school and high school.
  Doc Merlin had a lucid dream one fateful night that we wrote a song together nostalgically like the old days, and when he came to consciousness there was a voice recording on his phone singing the hook line “Got To Get Away” (you can hear this exact voice memo at the end of the song...)
  I was totally hooked by this story when DM called me up, we just had to turn it into a song... and also, TIMI TEMPLE’s first ever collaboration! I got DM around to my studio the next day and the song was done within a matter of hours!!
  The song’s sound see’s me returning to a bunch of my high school influences like grunge and punk but I tried to also encapsulate the playful nature of computer games and childhood naivety...  

     “Get Away” (ft. Doc Merlin) by Timi Temple




Lyrics of “Get Away” (ft. Doc Merlin) by Timi Temple
There's nothing
That'll change my way
And it's been too long
Since I've been astray

There's nothing
Left for me to do
'Cause in this world
There's only me and you

["Woah..."]

There's nothing
That can last forever
So we cannot let ourselves
Ever say never

There's nothing
More you need from me
'Cause from down here
There's no future I can see

When time is almost over
Our future set in stone
With Gods betraying everyone
They won't leave us alone
When there's nothing else to do
And nothing more to say
The only thing we can do
Is to get away

["Woah..."]

No comments:

Post a Comment