Tuesday, April 21, 2020

“13Bullets (pt, 1)” by Stop Light Observations – A Song Feature


     Stop Light Observations are five musicians from South Carolina who know how to select a strong band name. “13Bullets (pt, 1)” shows that their skills don’t end there. The single includes intelligent lyrics set to Blues-touched Psych Rock sensibilities.

In talking about “13Bullets (pt. 1), the band explained:
  “This song is not a judgment, but an observation of the cost of our freedom. The recognition of the pain, suffering, and injustice that has taken place for the freedoms we so often take for granted. The inequalities that still exist, and the origin of their existence. And lastly the question of, are we really even free? America is stressed out. We are divided. We are anxious. We are material driven. We are at war. We are at war with ourselves This song is a conscious look into where we have been, and where we are going; in the hopes that we can heal these wounds and correct our course.”
  “We wrote this song when we were 17 years old. And our closest friends have begged us for years and years to please bring it back. Some things need time and happen when they happen, I guess. It’s so surreal to bring back a song from such a youthful time, and to realize that it means more now than it did then.”
 
     Stop Light Observations is a band based in South Carolina (Charleston/Mt. Pleasant). The members are William Blackburn (lead vocals), John Keith “Cubby” Culbreth (synth, piano, guitar), Louis Duffie (lead guitar), Luke Withers (drums), and Will Mahoney (bass).

    “13Bullets (pt, 1)” by Stop Light Observations 


Lyrics of “13Bullets” by Stop Light Observations
Black skies, getting high
It’s 2 am and I don’t know why
I can’t find my way home

There’s an old man kicking can
He gotta empty pockets, true American
He never ever really had himself a home

There’s a lady dressed in red
She’ll drink her way into your bed
In the early morning slip away
But I didn’t even catch her name
(Catch her name)

Well I don’t know, I don’t know
But where our freedom may go
What I know, what I know
Is just where we have been

Cotton fields, trails of terrors, Black boys
Running from his fears
Steel towers, they crumble down
Once was lost, but now I am found

And I don’t know, I don’t know
Where our freedom may go
What I know, what I know
Is just where we have been

Cotton fields, trails of terrors, Black boys
Running from his fears
Steel towers, they crumble down
Once was lost, but now I am found

No comments:

Post a Comment