Monday, May 18, 2020

“kitchen table” by somegirlnamedanna – A Song and Video Feature


     It’s a tribute to the climate surrounding a piece of furniture; namely the kitchen table. To paint that subject matter into a relatable, insightful portrait requires lyrical artistry that very few of us will ever touch. In her single “kitchen table,” somegirlnamedanna speaks reverently about the significance of the table – “Learned what is right and what is wrong” and “Only place I’ve never told a lie.” Yes, there were times and realities that were difficult. Still, not so reverently stated, “Some were the best days of my fucking life.”

     While talking about “kitchen table,” somegirlnamedanna explained:
  "The kitchen table growing up is where so many important moments happened—talking with my family about anything from how my day was to some of the most defining moments of my life. The sense of connection and support I needed all happened when we were sitting there together. For me, that kitchen table reminds me of the people I love and where I came from, and it holds so many memories that I look back on."

     The genius goes beyond the lyrics. The lead vocals carry a charming sincerity. Still, an opportunity is missed if the backing vocals are not the focus during at least one play of “kitchen table.” The temperament of the lead vocals is relatively steady throughout the song, particularly when compared to the backing vocals after their arrival 50 seconds into “kitchen table.” After the arrival, the backing vocals are sometimes falsetto and other times beautifully gentle, sometimes in synch with the lead and other times offset. Our favorite begins at 1:54, when a degree of anguish enters into the harmony.

     The video for “kitchen table” is also appealing. somegirlnamedanna stresses that the name is not a brand, nor an image or alter ego. Instead, it is the story of Anna. She was born and raised in a remote area of Minnesota. Quoting the content regarding the video:
  “We originally had an entirely different treatment for the music video” somegirlnamedanna sets up the story behind the music video, “but when the pandemic hit I drove home to Minnesota and had to find a way to create something just as special while social distancing at home. We got ahold of a ton of old home video footage and my brother and I decided to shoot the music video on the same VHS camcorder to capture the same nostalgic feel. I wanted the video to honor all of the memories I had from growing up, so I ran in the fields like I was a kid again and kissed my horse’s nose like I did when I was little.”

     “kitchen table” by somegirlnamedanna




Lyrics of “kitchen table” by somegirlnamedanna
I hear my parents in the living room talking politics again
I keep on calling but unless something is burning, they ain't listening

Here I keep drawing blue skies and rays of sunshine
Cuz rainbows are better than rain in my eyes

Sitting at this kitchen table
Money’s tight but here we’re stable
Only place I’ve never told a lie
Falling in and out of love, when I watched mom and dad break up
But here we get along just fine
How I miss my kitchen table

So many firsts, some of them hurt
Some were the best days of my fucking life
I’ve gotten high, hit a bit low,
Learned what is right and what is wrong

So I keep drawing blue skies and rays of sunshine
Cuz rainbows are better than rain in my eyes

Sitting at this kitchen table
Money’s tight but here we’re stable
Only place I’ve never told a lie
Falling in and out of love, when I watched mom and dad break up
But here we get along just fine
How I miss my kitchen table

Pen in hand
I traced out all these memories on the table
Mom and dad
I swear I'd hold them to the grave
Cuz they held me from the cradle

Sitting at this kitchen table
Money’s tight but here we’re stable
Only place I’ve never told a lie
Falling in and out of love, when I watched mom and dad break up
But here we get along just fine
How I miss my kitchen table

Sitting at this kitchen table
Money’s tight but here we’re stable
Only place I’ve never told a lie
How I miss my kitchen table

No comments:

Post a Comment