Saturday, May 23, 2020

Pale Oaks - Free Saturday (“FL&R”)

     Finding songs that can be legally downloaded is easy. The difficult task is to find legally downloadable music that we recommend. Our plan is to post at least one Free, Legal and Recommended (FL&R) song each Saturday.


     Pale Oaks are from Athens, Greece. “Muddy Waters” is the first release from their upcoming album “Falter.” The single begins with an emphasis on the bass and drums rhythm section, keeping the guitar skills secret until the second verse (at 0:49).

     The members of Pale Oaks are Akis Vogiatzis (vocals, guitar), Theo Vranas (drums), John Lefas (guitar, vocals), and Dimitris Konstantakopoulos (bass, vocals). Quoting content on their Facebook page:
  Since their formation in late 2016, Pale Oaks have never been concerned with being the cool band in town. Where other bands are quick to shy away from being labeled “emo” or “pop,” the members of the Greek quartet wear their influences proudly on their sleeves. Combining the down-tuned guitars and melodies of mid-’00s emo, with 80’s synths and big pop hooks, they jokingly started calling their music “heavy-pop” until the term stuck. In their time together the band have toured Europe, released their well-received debut EP “…I’ve Been Better” and the stand-alone single “Losing Our Minds” before entering the studio in late 2018 to start recording what would become their debut LP “Falter.” The album sees the band pushing their sound even further creating a body of work that is meant to be listened to like the mixtapes they used to make as kids, where track order and vibe were more important than genre. Straight up guitar-driven rock songs give their turn to euphoric pop choruses, electronic drums, pitched vocals and glitchy lo-fi loops to create a collage of sounds that keeps things thrillingly unpredictable.

     “Muddy Waters” by Pale Oaks


Lyrics of “Muddy Waters” by Pale Oaks
What am I but a breathing machine
Stuck in muddy waters, muddy waters
Excuse me if I'm making a scene
But I'm out of order, out of order
Leaving ain't as hard as it seems

Love is not renewed in the spleen
So remove that organ, move that organ
Sew me I'll bleed on your sheets
And I keep coming over, coming over
Giving you whatever you need

It's not getting easier
And honey I can't forget
It's not getting easier
And honey I can't forget

All the words I'm trying to speak
But I always falter, always falter
Going through our morning routine
Stay a little longer, little longer
Guess living ain't as hard as it seems

It's not getting easier
And honey I can't forget
It's not getting easier
And honey I can't forget

What did I say [Repeating]
[Layered with:]
It's not getting easier
And honey I can't forget

No comments:

Post a Comment