Monday, January 29, 2018

“Body” by SYML – A Song Review

     The track record of SYML refutes any argument that London has a monopoly on pure-voiced singer/songwriters gifted with the sensitivity and talent to repeatedly release emotionally stirring tracks. Two striking singles (“Better” and “Where’s My Love”) emerged from the 2016 EP “Hurt for Me.” This year, SYML dropped another six-track EP. This one is titled “In My Body,” and includes a slightly more energetic and percussive version of “Where’s My Love.”

     “Body” is another track on the 2018 EP. The lyrics are below the Soundcloud stream. They lend themselves to more than one interpretation, so we’ll wait for insights from SYML before commenting.

     The vocal range of SYML is on full exhibit in “Body.” The vocals sound equally comfortable in more than one register, as the falsetto is an unforced plea for another chance.

     SYML is the project of Brian Fennell, who records in his basement studio in Issaquah, Washington. Before the project, Brian was the frontman on the band Barcelona. We grabbed opportunities to see Barcelona during their visits to San Francisco and look forward to the March 7 performance of SYML at Rickshaw Stop in San Francisco. Until the show is a sellout, tickets can be purchased via CLICK HERE.

     “Body” by SYML 


Lyrics of “Body” by SYML
In my body I have a master
I bow down when she comes around
In my body I’m a disaster
I break down when you shake the ground

Every time I stand to leave my cage
In my broken body I stay

I want to love like a man
I’ll build you a home when I can
Give my new body a chance
Patient now it’s all that I have
I fought the world for your hand
I fought the world for your hand
Give my new body a chance
Give my new body a chance
It’s all I have

In my body I fight fire
With the snow, my hell is cold
In my body I have a soft light
Burning low, but too hot to hold
I’ve become the only thing I hate
Leave this broken body today

I want to love like a man
I’ll build you a home when I can
Give my new body a chance
Patient now it’s all that I have
I fought the world for your hand
I fought the world for your hand
Give my new body a chance
Give my new body a chance

I was hearing words in black and white
Twisted up inside my broken mind
Outstretched dirty hands just like a child
Hungry little fool, but you were mine
You’re all I have
You’re all I have

Give my new body a chance
Give my new body a chance


Tour Dates (* = sold out)
1/30                Berlin, Germany                               Kesselhaus Acoustics
1/31                Hamburg, Germany                         Knust Acoustics
2/1                  Cologne, Germany                          Theatre der WG*
2/3                  Frankfurt, Germany                         Bedroom disco
2/4                  Brussels, Belgium                           Rotonde @Botanique*
2/5                  Amsterdam, Netherlands                Paradiso*
2/7                  Paris, France                                   Pop-Up Du Label
2/8                  London, England                             St. Pancras Church*
2/9                  London, England                             St. Pancras Church*
2/10                Manchester, England                       Fallow Cafe
2/12                Dublin, Ireland                                  Whelan’s
2/14                Stockholm, Sweden                         Obaren
3/5                  Los Angeles, CA                              The Moroccan Lounge
3/7                  San Francisco, CA                           Rickshaw Stop
3/9                  Portland, OR                                    The Old Church
3/10                Seattle, WA                                      Columbia City Theater
3/13-18          Austin, TX                                         SXSW (details to come)

6/15-17          Oslo, Norway                                    Piknik i Parken

No comments:

Post a Comment