Thursday, May 23, 2013

"Dreams of Cannibalism" - A Song Review (And Austin City Limits Alert)

     Typhoon is a band based in Portland, Oregon. Depending on your source of information, the band has 11, 12 or 13 members. The above picture showing eleven members is currently the band’s Facebook cover photo.
      Typhoon will perform during both weekends of the 2013 Austin City Limits Festival in October.

     The song "Dreams of Cannibalism" is the musical equivalent of the trite optimist-pessimist test of "half full" or "half empty". It includes so many elements, that it can be argued that merely by giving the song a listen, you’re sure to find something you like. Alternatively, it can be argued that if you listen to the song, you’re bound to find something you don’t care to hear in a song. In this test, we land on the side of being optimists.
     “Dreams of Cannibalism” starts with a tease – one second of horns. Yes, one second.  Then, there is a gentle guitar play with periodic surges by a piano and the drums. If you like crescendos, this song has plenty. If not, well there’s plenty more to like about the song ("half full!").
     Interesting aspects of the single include:
1. A title that seems disjointed from the lyrics (which are included below, along with the “dream interpretation” that provides some explanation);
2. Lyrics that start with a paraphrase of Richard Nixon’s assertion “I am not a crook,” using the term “criminal” instead. [OK, that’s a reach, we know];
3. Horns which periodically enter and exit;
4. Some country guitar twang that is particularly apparent starting at the 1:45 mark;
5. A team shout of “Hey” at 1:54 (like a Lumineers’ style “Hey”);
6. A choir approach toward the end of song. 

      "Dreams of Cannibalism" by Typhoon


LYRICS:
"Unhand me, I am not a criminal;
though I've played a guilty part.
In the modern sense that one pretends
their life is original.

I wrote a book and I will call it something cynical.
The story's slow, the hero does not change.
And if he can then he won't anyway..
Instead his foes and lovers all become identical

I fled the country.
I thought I'd leave this behind.

But I built the same damn house
on every acre I could find.

And i tried to fake my own death.
Just shake the devils from my mind.

And I said
Unhand me I am not a criminal.
If I am I paid the man just let me go.
Soon enough you will be dancing at my funeral."


According to dream dictionaries (for example, http://www.dreammoods.com/), “To see cannibalism in your dream symbolizes a destructive and forbidden desire or obsession. In a literal sense, cannibals consume people's lives, along with their energy. Thus, this dream may then denote an aspect of your life (career, relationship, children, etc ), which is consistently draining your enthusiasm and vitality.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wearetyphoon
Website: http://www.wearetyphoon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment