Wednesday, October 9, 2019

“What’s My Name” by MXMS – A Song Feature


      To help raise awareness of suicide and mental illness, MXMS released “What’s My Name,” a dark yet powerful single. Comprised of Ariel Levitan (vocals) and multi-instrumentalist Jeremy Dawson, MXMS has created a truly captivating new genre - Funeral Pop - by fusing classic melodic songwriting with dark, unfiltered chaos.  Moreover, Levitan and Dawson offer hope through honesty, pouring their deeply personal stories into almost every song. The duo is also known as Me and My Shadow. They are North America’s Die Antwoord, but on valium.

      “I was the painfully shy girl in school that used to walk the hallways hugging the wall,” shares Levitan. “I prayed that no one would notice me.  I would constantly hope that one day I wouldn’t be seen as a moving target.  I know what it’s like to eat lunch in a bathroom stall. I know what it’s like to want to fit in so desperately that you’ll do just about anything.”

     Like many of their previous singles “What’s My Name” deals with sensitive subject matter best captured with a beautifully haunting delivery, relying on the minimalism of raw piano and voice; drawing from Jeremy's classical piano background complimenting Ariel's heart-piercing tenor vocals.  “This song is a snapshot into the racing mind in harrowing and traumatizing moments,” she continues. “Words pierce. Feelings get hurt. And we are left desperate for solutions.  There is a solution; and that is love. We decided a long time ago that we wanted to release our new song on September 10, World Suicide Prevention Day.”

     “What’s My Name” is auto-biographical, for both Levitan and Dawson. The song poignantly describes the intrusive thoughts of a young girl who was left behind by her biological parents - a young girl who must grapple with her fears and insecurities. A young girl who must endure relentless bullying on a daily basis.

     “What’s My Name” by MXMS



The content that is below this official video explains:
  Filmed, Directed and edited by Cary Longchamps @zero5four across the abandoned landscape of parts of Detroit Michigan. Our video for "Whats My Name" visually interprets the harrowing pain and loss of bullying to the point of suicidal thoughts based on our real personal experience.  We are so excited to finally reveal this beautiful piece of art .. love you all :)

Lyrics of “What’s My Name” by MXMS
What's my name?

I drew the dress I want
But I won't get
I dreamed of boys, touch me
They notice me
My momma had sex
Made a mess she regrets
I've been through enough shit
Just leave me alone

Boy, what's my name?
Is it slut? Am I strange?
Girl, what's my name?
Is it weirdo? Am I gay?
Teacher, why are you laughing at me
Laughing at me again?
I'll blow out my brains
Anyone who calls me names

What's my name?

You have a voice
God made you prettier
I have no choice
Please stop hurting me
No one's there when I cry
I regret being born alive
The warning drowns my eyes
Like headlights in the rain

Boy, what's my name?
Is it slut? Am I strange?
Girl, what's my name?
Is it weirdo? Am I gay?
Teacher, why are you laughing at me
Laughing at me again?
I'll blow out my brains
Anyone

I have a name
What's my name?

No comments:

Post a Comment