Monday, January 20, 2014

“Spirit First (Sincerely K.)” by Levi Weaver – A Song Review

     Because of an occurrence that was long anticipated and natural, yet sad, we are both in a dark place. So, it’s a good time to introduce the song “Spirit First (Sincerely, K.)” by Levi Weaver. The song was released in June, 2011. Weaver is a singer/songwriter in East Nashville, Tennessee, and he describes himself as a "Wanderer, Wonderer," who likes baseball and is fond of Starburst.
      The song is from the album “The Letters of Dr. Kurt Gödel.” After doing a little research about Kurt Gödel, here is a quick bio and two interesting stories:
     1. The bio - Gödel was an Austrian logician, mathematician and philosopher. He died in 1978 at the age of 71. After Austria became part of Nazi Germany, he joined Albert Einstein at Princeton University and they developed a strong friendship.
     2.  Interesting Story 1 – Einstein accompanied Gödel to his U.S. citizenship exam, for fear that Gödel’s citizenship would be denied if he were allowed to explain the “flaw” in the U.S. Constitution that would allow the country to become a dictatorship. Sure enough, Gödel started the explanation, but it was the presiding judge rather than Einstein who cut him off.
     3. Interesting Story 2 - Gödel had an obsessive fear of being poisoned, so he would only eat food that his wife prepared. In late 1977, his wife was hospitalized for six months. He died of starvation, weighing 66 pounds.

     “Spirit First (Sincerely K.)” by Levi Weaver


“Spirit First (Sincerely K.)” - The Lyrics
I built this house, but it fell down before I got one night of sleep
So how does that beat all the fools who never tried
They missed the moon in rented rooms, traded stories over food
I worked alone, broke my bones with all my pride.

I desired royal attire, so I acquired the emperor's skin
Held a parade & begged the world to look inside
I wanted fame, 'cause I thought fame could prove to me that I was great
It never came; I was a failure to myself

It's the way of the world to swallow you alive  
The way of the world to swallow you alive // spirit first.

It's been so long singing songs I couldn't possibly still mean
I guess they're lies if they've lost the truth they had
and it's so hard to get well, writing postcards home from Hell
I'd rather pack; I'd rather leave this all/

It's the way of the world to swallow you alive
the way of the world to swallow you alive // spirit first
Whoa, Whoa, I give up
Whoa, Whoa, I give up
Ooo, ooooh // I give up.

You get one life, and I spend mine chasing highways made of ghosts
Now I don't know the way home from where I stand
And I believed I was free, til I forgot what I believed
Now I don't even need chains to hold me down.

     “I Am Certain I Am a Train” by Levi Weaver


“I Am Certain I Am a Train” - The Lyrics
I am a cup of rotten coffee, my thoughts are floating on my head
And if you drink them in and chew them up, they're only gonna make you sick
I've lived my life like blackout bingo; trying on each home I thought might fit.
Now there's a bean on every square, but someone's telling me I still can't win.

I've left // When I thought leaving made things right.
I've quit // When quitting meant I didn't start a fight.
I've spent // Half my wrist erasing what I write
Half my days ashamed of half my nights
Half my life escaping from my life.

I've paid admission to the places I have loved by pawning off pieces of my heart
Til I'm smeared across a globe with little hope of recovering half my parts.
I've spent entire years behind a wheel wondering why it is I drive so hard.
Til I'm no closer to an answer, ten years later, than the day I tried to start.

I've left // When I thought leaving made things right.
I've quit // When quitting meant I didn't start a fight.
I've spent // Half my wrist erasing what I write
Half my days ashamed of half my nights
Half my life escaping from my life

Sometimes I'm certain I'm a train filled with strangers
And we're all searching for a home we've never seen
So I'll keep whistling my so-ong low and pretty
And we'll keep stumbling through the night
Like tunnels searching for the light.

I've left // When I thought leaving made things right.
I've quit // When quitting meant I didn't start a fight.
I've spent // Half my wrist erasing what I write
Half my days ashamed of half my nights
Half my life escaping from my life

[This post is dedicated to Oreo.]

No comments:

Post a Comment