Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Kyle Morton and the PBS Series “Soundbreaking”

     We heartily recommend the television series “Soundbreaking.” If you aren't aware of the series, it is offered by the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). Each of its eight episodes examines an aspect of music in a passionate, enlightening and interesting manner. It’s not a lecture series, since the episodes are snippets of different interviews and different songs.

     Our personal favorite is Episode 3, “The Human Instrument.” For at least the next few days, the episode may be viewed at http://www.pbs.org/video/2365882217/. The impressive list of songs from the episode is pasted at the bottom of this post.
     Episode 3 concludes (starting at 51:22),
“We don’t really judge a vocal on an intellectual level. What we respond to is some feeling that they’re honest performances. And when we start to feel like this singer is carrying some truth to us, we make the deeper investment. This is not just the singer/songwriters. It’s not just that confessional mode. It could be James Brown. It could be Chic. But we know when it’s… you know, this is when we start to run out of words and we turn to … authentic.”

     We all have a collection of songs and vocalists in which we have made the deeper investment. Because he recently passed, I’ll mention Leon Russell’s “A Song for You” as being on the “short list.” Turning to the 2016 albums, the investment is in Kyle Morton’s “What Will Destroy You.” It is Morton’s debut album, but he has released albums as a member of Typhoon, the orchestral Rock band from Portland, Oregon. We have a number of recommendations from among the ten tracks, including “Survivalist Fantasy” and “Perverse Fascination.” But the song in which we have the deepest investment – “My Little Darlin Knows My Nature.”
     Kyle Morton will begin an extensive tour in January 2017. San Francisco is among the stops. On January 4, he will perform at Swedish American Music Hall. For ticket information, CLICK HEREThe full tour schedule is available at TOUR SCHEDULE.

Lyrics of “My Little Darlin Knows My Nature”  by Kyle Morton
My little darlin knows my nature
My little darlin knows my mind
She has sheltered me from it all the time

For left alone to my own devices
I will tear at the carpet I'll chew the blinds
A more feral specimen you won't find
But every year I am getting older
And I lose my good looks, lose my charms
All I used to lure you into my arms

Who could blame you being cynical
You're right the world it is a crypt
It's pitiless and cold
And though I remain skeptical
That you still love me
May be the only miracle

I never learned to trust a love song
It was not because the words were trite
But I felt the love itself was trite

Now my little darlin I'll sing you a love song
One you can hang your hat on every night
I will be your witness if you be mine
I will be your witness if you be mine
I will be your witness if you be my wife

*********************************
As promised above, here is the song list from Episode 3 of “Soundbreaking.”
1. Walk Away – Ben Harper
2. We Are The Champions – Queen
3. On A Carousel – The Hollies
4. Jeremy – Pearl Jam
5. Piece of My Heart – Big Brother and the Holding Company
6. Do You Feel Like We Do – Peter Frampton
7. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? – Al Green
8. Skyfall – Adele
9. Rollin’ In The Deep – Adele
10. Not the Only One – Bonnie Raitt
11. You’ve Been a Good Old Wagon – Bessie Smith
12. I Surrender, Dear – Bing Crosby
13. I Don’t Know Why (I Just Do) – Frank Sinatra
14. I’m a Fool to Want You – Frank Sinatra
15. Valerie – Amy Winehouse
16. Rehab – Amy Winehouse
17. Don’t Let it Bring You Down – Neil Young
18. Mr. Siegal – Tom Waits
19. Come Back Baby – Aretha Franklin
20. Respect – Aretha Franklin
21. Georgia on My Mind – Ray Charles
22. Walk Away – Ben Harper
23. Who are You? – The Who
24. Luka – Suzanne Vega
25. Once a Day – Connie Smith
26. Poker Face – Lady Gaga
27. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
28. Quiet Storm – John Legend and Smokey Robinson
29. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around – Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
30. Hide and Seek – Imogen Heap
31. I’d Know You Anywhere – Kay Kyser
32. More Bounce to the Ounce – Zapp & Roger
33. Believe – Cher
34. Love Lockdown – Kanye West
35. Up Down (Do this All Day) – T-Pain
36. Ain’t No Other Man – Christina Aguilera
37. Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
38. Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment