Friday, April 23, 2021

"If It Happens" by We Were Promised Jetpacks – A Song Feature

 

      The formula of “If It Happens” binds various elements into an attractive and cohesive whole. A layered guitar-driven crescendo highlights the 42-second intro of the single from We Were Promised Jetpacks. Then, the guitars give way to percussion and a strong bass line, as the song moves into a melodic mode and the vocals enter.
 
     “If It Happens” does not camouflage the origin of We Were Promised Jetpacks. The Scottish accent evidences the country of origin of the Edinburg band formed of Adam Thompson (vocals, guitar), Sean Smith (bass), and Darren Lackie (drums). The vocals are appealing, but the true nature of the band surfaces at 3:20, when the guitars again step to the front of the stage.

     The lyrics of "If It Happens" are included at the bottom of this post. The first two lines explain the song’s view on life – “If it happens, then it happens  / If it doesn't, then it doesn't.”
  Thompson said about the song:
  “I feel that ‘If It Happens’ expresses a lot about what I had been trying to get across to myself. It was all part of my new mindset of trying to be more positive about what I have and not always thinking about what I don’t. It’s about embracing the idea of happiness, doing what you can to encourage it and generally be a lot more ‘c’est la vie’ about everything. If it happens, it happens; if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. What can you do?”
 
     The picture at the top of the post was taken in San Francisco in 2014. The performance by We Were Promised Jetpacks was even better than expected.

     "If It Happens" by We Were Promised Jetpacks


Lyrics of "If It Happens" by We Were Promised Jetpacks
If it happens, then it happens
If it doesn't, then it doesn't
And I'm not going to lose any sleep about it
And I'm not going to feel any shame about it anymore
 
All I wanna do is get high and enjoy the view now I'm here
 
And all I wanna do is get high and enjoy that view
 
If I fall on my sword
Would you question why I'd fall in such a stupid spot
And I'm not gonna kick up a fuss about it
Cause you can't make me feel any worse about it than I do
 
All I ever wanted was a future
Somewhere to sit and paint a bigger picture
Somewhere to rest my head and face the music
And all I wanna do is get high and enjoy that view now I'm here
 
And all I wanna do is get high and enjoy the view
 
There's always another
Rung on the ladder
Let's hang on a minute and stay where we are
 
And all I wanna do is get high and enjoy the view
There's always another
Rung on the ladder
Let's hang on a minute and stay where we are

No comments:

Post a Comment