Tuesday, December 19, 2017

“Darker” by Typhoon – A Song Review

     “Something’s gotta give when the water keeps on rising; and the walls are closing in.” Desperation arrives from a one-two punch. “Darker” is another installment of a four-movement concept album that explores the emotional and mental phases of a man as he slowly loses his memory. The album, “Offerings,” is set for release on January 12, 2018, via Roll Call Records.

      While the story is centered around one man, frontman Kyle Morton explains that the reality of the main character is a way of understanding cultural memory loss and the chaos that takes the place of that loss. The fourteen tracks are divided into four movements - Floodplains, Flood, Reckoning, and Afterparty. Morton explains:
  "'Darker' is a song from the third movement of our new record, Offerings, detailing the final stages of our character's memory crisis, in which he loses those distinctions separating self from other. Naturally, chaos ensues."

    Typhoon will tour in early 2018 to promote “Offerings.” The tour schedule and the links to ticket information are included at the bottom of this post. The schedule includes a performance at The Independent in San Francisco on February 13.

     The members of Typhoon are Kyle Morton (lead vocals, piano, guitar), Toby Tanabe (bass, vocals), Dave Hall (guitar, vocals), Shannon Steele (violin, vocals), Pieter Hilton (drums, vocals), Alex Fitch (drums, vocals), Tyler Ferrin (horns, guitar, piano, vocals), Devin Gallagher (percussion, ukulele, vocals), Jen Hufnagel (violin, vocals), Ryan McAlpin (trumpet, vocals), and Eric Stipe (trumpet, vocals).

      “Darker” by Typhoon 


Lyrics of “Darker” by Typhoon
I tried, you know, just to tow the line
Love all the neighbors
And live in the light
Sure I stumbled sometimes

Self-contained, a convenient lie
Every source of pain
Every sting of pride
Had to come from the outside

But you
You won't even fight me fair
Wait for the darkness, catch me unaware
Yeah, you pull me close
Then you twist the knife

I don't wanna live with the kinds of trouble
I keep finding myself in

Mirror to my left
A mirror to my right
A void stretching out on either side
Is it your face or mine?

Try to leave a mark
We carve our names
All cornered animals behave the same
Then get eaten alive

So that's it
I wash my hands
Cut my ties to the world
And it's vicious appetites
Yes I am ready to die
Yeah I’m ready, Yeah, I’m ready to die

I don't wanna live with the kinds of trouble
I keep finding myself in
Yeah, something’s gotta give when the water keeps on rising
And the walls are closing in

How long can I keep this tired act together?
It's a short ambulance ride
And then the waiting room forever
Tell me how do I make the right move now?
Prepare me for the moment when my mind goes out
I am trying hard to follow the sound

You won't even fight me fair
Wait for the darkness
Catch me unaware
Then you twist the knife

2018 TOUR DATES:
01.10 - URBAN LOUNGE - SALT LAKE CITY, UT (TICKETS)
01.12 - GOTHIC THEATRE - ENGLEWOOD, CO (TICKETS)
01.14 - THE WAITING ROOM - OMAHA, NE (TICKETS)
01.17 - TURF CLUB - SAINT PAUL, MN (TICKETS)
01.18 - MAJESTIC THEATER - MADISON, WI (TICKETS)
01.19 - THE METRO - CHICAGO, IL (TICKETS)
01.20 - EL CLUB - DETROIT, MI (TICKETS)
01.23 - LEE'S PALACE - TORONTO, ON (TICKETS)
01.25 - PARADISE ROCK CLUB - BOSTON, MA (TICKETS)
01.26 - UNION TRANSFER - PHILADELPHIA, PA (TICKETS)
01.27 - MUSIC HALL OF WILLIAMSBURG - BROOKLYN, NY (TICKETS)
01.31 - 9:30 CLUB - WASHINGTON, DC (TICKETS)
02.01 - CAT'S CRADLE - CARRBORO, NC (TICKETS)
02.02 - TERMINAL WEST - ATLANTA, GA (TICKETS)
02.03 - EXIT IN - NASHVILLE, TN (TICKETS)
02.06 - THE MOHAWK - AUSTIN, TX (TICKETS)
02.08 - THE CRESCENT BALLROOM - PHOENIX, AZ (TICKETS)
02.10 - MUSIC BOX - SAN DIEGO, CA (TICKETS)
02.11 - TERAGRAM BALLROOM - LOS ANGELES, CA (TICKETS)
02.13 - THE INDEPENDENT - SAN FRANCISCO, CA (TICKETS)
02.16 - THE CROCODILE - SEATTLE, WA (TICKETS)
02.23 - CRYSTAL BALLROOM - PORTLAND, OR (TICKETS)
02.24 - RICKSHAW THEATRE - VANCOUVER, BC (TICKETS)
02.28 - THE DEAF INSTITUTE - MANCHESTER, UK (TICKETS)
03.01 - BROADCAST - GLASGOW, UK (TICKETS)
03.02 - THE LEXINGTON - LONDON, UK (TICKETS)
03.07 - LE PETIT BAIN - PARIS, FRANCE (TICKETS)
03.08 - BOTANIQUE - BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (TICKETS)
03.09 - PARADISO - AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS (TICKETS)
03.10 - KNUST - HAMBURG, GERMANY (TICKETS)
03.13 - VEGA - COPENHAGEN, DENMARK (TICKETS)
03.14 - MUSIK & FRIEDEN - BERLIN, GERMANY (TICKETS)
03.15 - FLUC - VIENNA, AUSTRIA (TICKETS)
03.16 - GARE DE LION - WIL, SWITZERLAND (TICKETS)
03.18 - ROYAL - BADEN, SWITZERLAND (TICKETS)
03.20 - ARTHEATER - COLOGNE, GERMANY (TICKETS)

No comments:

Post a Comment