Sunday, October 5, 2014

Field Report – A Band Review

     It’s seldom that we would even consider the term “admire” in describing a band or a song. If another blogger were to use the term, we would be skeptical about the sincerity. Too often, bloggers get carried away in heaping praise upon songs we like, especially when we are just getting to know the songs. However, it is getting close to two years since Indie Obsessive first mentioned “Taking Alcatraz” by Field Report and it’s time to use the term in the blog for the first time:
     Indie Obsessive admires the lyrical skills of the contributors to “Taking Alcatraz.” The lyrics show a respect for a historic occupation, since they reflect possible background thinking leading to and during the 1969 Native American occupation of Alcatraz Island. The lyrics are poetic in presenting that thinking (“So, clear my name and clear my throat. Find my voice and here we go again. Need a place to stand.”). And the lyrics state the weaknesses in the traditional expressions regarding drawing a line in the sand and how a bird is the hand is worth more than two in the bush (“Please just tell the boys: That the line in the sand don’t matter if you don’t care; That a bird in the hand is worthless if you're too scared.”).

     The lyrics of “Taking Alcatraz” are included toward the bottom of this post.


     This week, Field Report releases its second album, "Marigolden.” Among the tracks is “Home (“Leave the Light On),” which surfaced a couple of months ago as another strong offering from the band.  Field Report is based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The band name is an anagram of the last name of vocalist/guitarist Chris Porterfield. The other core member is Shane Leonard: (drums, fiddle, banjo, and backing vocals).


LYRICS OF “TAKING ALCATRAZ”
So Richard Oaks gave me a call
From San Francisco late in the fall
He said it's going down
He said we're gonna take the island
As monument to the smallpox blankets and the bureaucrats
All you got to do is come along
You catch a bus tomorrow.

And if we die there
Well, at least we’ll make a choice
If we’re fine there
We can tell boys
That the line in the sand don’t matter if you don’t care
That a bird in the hand is worthless if you're too scared.

So clear my name and clear my throat
Find my voice and here we go again
Need a place to stand
I hear sirens down the street from the third-shift bar
I’m gonna park my car in the painted off place where the bikers park
See what happens then.

And if I die here
well at least I made a choice
If I’m fine here, just please tell the boys
That a line in the sand don’t matter
If you dont care
That bird in the hand is worthless if you're too scared

My friends keep calling
I don’t pick up
I got nothing to say that I can’t just make up anyway
I got all this shit to do
I’ve turned you off on the radio
I turn around it's in a TV show
I turn that off too
I remember when I knew you

And if I'm fine here, well I have made my choice
If I die here, please just tell the boys
That a line in the sand don’t matter
If you dont care
That a bird in the hand is worthless if you're too scared
That a line in the sand don’t matter
If you don't care
That bird in the hand is worthless i you are too scared


OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER TOUR DATES             
10/05/14         Columbus, OH         Rhumba Cae
10/07/14         Bloomington, IN       The Bishop              
10/08/14         Louisville, KY           Zanzabar                  
10/09/14         Nashville, TN            Mercy Lounge (High Watt)            
10/11/14         Hannibal, MO           Hootenanny Harvest Fest             
10/12/14         Kansas City, MO      The Tank Room                  
10/14/14         Minneapolis, MN      Varsity Theater                    
10/15/14         Madison, WI  The Frequency        
10/16/14         Ames, IA        The Treehouse                    
10/17/14         Maquoketa, IA          Daytrotter @ Codfish Holl             
10/22/14         Milwaukee, WI          Pabst Theater   
11/06/14         Green Bay, WI          Meyer Theater                     
11/07/14         Eau Claire, WI          House of Rock                    
11/08/14         Chicago, IL    Schubas, IL              
11/11/14         Denver, CO   Hi Dive                      
11/13/14         Los Angeles, CA      The Satellite             
11/15/14         Santa Cruz, CA        The Crepe Place                 
11/16/14         San Francisco, CA  Brick & Mortar                      
11/18/14         Portland, OR Bunk Bar                  
11/19/14         Seattle, WA   Sunset Tavern                      

No comments:

Post a Comment