Wednesday, May 17, 2017

“With My Friends” by Jason S. Matuskiewicz – A Song Review

     “With My Friends” is an anthem to companionship in acting upon bad judgement. The song has a simplicity in its vocals and the instrumental support, but an elegance in its poetic imagery. Thus, rather than merely stating that some of the friendships are long lasting and deep-seated, Jason S. Matuskiewicz begins, “We were upside down on the other side of recess.”

     The vocals carry a confident resolution during the chorus, but a well-timed anguish during certain lines of the verses. The first example of anguish is the third line – “No matter where I looked I couldn't find the answer.” 

     In identifying the inspiration behind “With My Friends,” Matuskiewicz stated:
  "Every bad decision should have at least two willing participants. When you know what tomorrow morning will be, but you need someone to make you feel like tonight is worth it, they'll be there. The weight of the world can be so much sometimes that you get tired of trying to lift it and just want to maybe slink out from under it. Thankfully, you have friends. Friends who will keep you company till dawn. Friends who will make the hard times as good as possible, even if you're a little hellbent on making them bad.
  That is more or less what 'With My Friends is inspired by. It does not have a narrative or a straight forward statement. It is an expression of a feeling of ennui and company that helps to mitigate it, even if not with the ideal methods. This, and the other songs on the [upcoming] E.P., were all written while my girlfriend was undergoing intense chemotherapy. This was dark time and methods were bound to be less than ideal. We coped. We survived."

     “With My Friends” by Jason S. Matuskiewicz 

Amazon Purchase: CLICK HERE 

Lyrics of “With My Friends” by Jason S. Matuskiewicz
We were upside down on the other side of recess
Spread all over town I couldn't keep the secret
No matter where I looked I couldn't find the answer
To what it is I would do about all of these da-da-dancers

I've been told it's all my fault
I don't believe them at all
I don't think so
I’d do it over and over again

With my friends
My friends
[Repeat]

In the middle of the night we were
Lost deep in laughter
You could see it in that candle light
Maybe we would be ever after.

I've been told it's all my fault
I don't believe them at all
I don't think so
I’d do it over and over again

With my friends
My friends
[Repeat]

We were talking all round in circles
Circling round the drain
It didn't look like much
But it didn't look like pain

I've been told it's all my fault
I don't believe them at all
I don't think so
I’d do it over and over again
[Repeat]

With my friends
My friends
[Repeat 3x]


No comments:

Post a Comment