Friday, January 24, 2020

“Broken Glass” by Nightseason – A Song Feature


      There is a risk in including a silent pause within a song; released listener attention after it has been earned may not return. But when a pause is properly executed, silence can be golden. Within their song “Broken Glass,” Nightseason masterfully execute a pause.

      Was attention earned in the first 42 seconds? Yes, unquestionably. Suddenly, "Broken Glass" is quiet. Wait, we are not ready for the song to end! Then, it returns with its first occurrence of the chorus, which reveals the theme of “Broken Glass.” The couple's relationship is so problematic that while it was once like walking on eggshells, “Those eggshells are extinct / Cause now we’re walkin’ on broken glass.”  Nightseason explains,
  “This track is written from the perspective of someone in an on-and-off relationship that has repeatedly failed. Small problems/arguments have escalated until resentment builds (from walking on metaphorical eggshells to broken glass).  By the end of the song they are willing to give up, for the sake of their counterpart’s best interests.”

     The theme is gloomy, but it is carried by a rhythmically and melodically upbeat vehicle. That contrast adds to the appeal of “Broken Glass.” Nightseason is the duo of Jordn Caiola and drummer-turned-producer Patrick Zeinali. In “Broken Glass,” Jordan's grungy vocals take charge, riddled with passion and power, while an innovating and rousing production gives way to the fervor in their message.

     “Broken Glass” is a single on an upcoming 7-track EP of Nightseason. For options regarding streaming or purchasing the single, visit https://smarturl.it/Broken_Glass.




Lyrics of “Broken Glass” by Nightseason
I thought I’d been waiting all my life
For something like this
To release the stress of my balled-up fists.

And ya had to know it would sting like the rest
When I called you
Just to trap you in my hornets’ nest

But you weren’t for me
I don’t deserve you

Don’t tell me what you think
It’s like I’m walkin’ on broken glass
Those eggshells are extinct
Cause now we’re walkin’ on broken glass

And I die a little inside
Every time you
Come around and say that
Nothing has changed
And we can maintain this love

You’ve been walking in circles all your life
When will you
Try to escape on your own line?

Don’t tell me what you think
It’s like I’m walkin’ on broken glass
Those eggshells are extinct
Because now we’re walkin’ on broken glass
[Repeat]

But you weren’t for me
And I don’t deserve you
No you weren’t for me.
No you weren’t for me

Don’t tell me what you think
It’s like I’m walkin’ on broken glass
Those eggshells are extinct
Because now we’re walkin’ on broken glass
[Repeat]

No comments:

Post a Comment