Monday, August 24, 2020

“Preppin' Defeat” by Davy Holden – A Song Feature


     It’s one of the more entertaining performance videos we can recall. The video for “Preppin' Defeat” is a 3D animation of a live performance at a small venue. Impressively, there are times when the animated movements of the guitarist, bassist and drummer are synchronized with the real-life playing of their instruments. The making of the video required skill, time and effort.

     Away from the stage, there is a storyline that fits the lyrics. Two men are ready to engage in a confrontation after one unsuccessfully attempts to avoid the other and then tries to “just laugh and smile” his way through the start of the conversation. Eventually, the two lock angry eyes and appear ready to fight. But the start of the guitar-driven bridge of “Preppin' Defeat” distracts the men and they hurry to positions to enjoy the remainder of the song. Although the two go to separate positions, there are connections to Pat Benatar’s dance “fight” in “Love Is a Battlefield” and Michael Jackson’s "knife fight” in the “Beat It” video.

     Davy Holden is based in Kilkenny, Ireland. The song credits state that he provides the vocals, guitars and bass, while James Kelly (Big Generator) is the drummer. The video production is by Raghnalltuathai. The press materials for “Preppin' Defeat” explain: 
  The origins of the track came from a night Holden spent playing music in his local bar. “It’s about meeting someone in a bar that seems to be better than everyone else in their own head and how ridiculous it is,” Holden admits of the tracks roots, “I've been lucky enough to meet some of the greatest guitarists around the world and they have been humble and down to earth. But I've also been in local bars where it's a big competition. I hate competition. That's not what music is about.”
                                                                                                             
     “Preppin' Defeat” by Davy Holden




Lyrics of “Preppin' Defeat” by Davy Holden
He approaches you to talk
And you can read his train of thought
We can chat all night about it
Bits & bobs and how you're the sh#t.

You can walk with me if you need it
And I like the way you're talking but
You're Preppin' Defeat when I ask you one thing
And you say another.

He seems completely fine
Just laugh and smile
We’re gonna be here a while
Someone get me outta here!

You can walk with me if you need it
And I like the way you're talking but
You're Preppin' Defeat when I ask you one thing
And you say another.
[Repeat]

Creepin' slowly away from the bar
And trust me I know where you are
We lock eyes, I turn and look away
But then decide to turn and say

You can walk with me if you need it
And I like the way you're talking but
You're Preppin' Defeat when I ask you one thing
And you say another.
[Repeat]

[Instrumental Bridge]

You can walk with me if you need it
And I like the way you're talking but
You're Preppin' Defeat when I ask you one thing
And you say another.
[Repeat]

No comments:

Post a Comment