Wednesday, August 5, 2020

"Through The Valley (The Last of Us Part II)" by Tash Sultana - A Song Feature


     The video showcases Tash Sultana with an acoustic guitar in a poorly lit room. The visual presentation is deceptive, since there is no evidence of the lushness of the vocals and the power of the instrumentation. Yes, the intro of "Through The Valley” is an acoustic guitar, but even the start is visually misleading. Sultana does play the 12-string guitar. The fullness and harmonic resonance during the intro scream 12-string. Clearly, it’s not the single 6-strong guitar she is holding in the video.

     The vocals are layered and powerful. It is difficult to believe that in Sultana’s early years as a looping busker in Australia, she had to be convinced that she had the skills to be a vocalist. The elegance is particularly apparent during the final minute, when harmony is featured.

     Other reasons to love "Through The Valley (The Last of Us Part II)" by Tash Sultana are the judicious use of percussion and the non-complex yet powerful bass that waits almost two minutes before entering.

     Quoting interesting press content around the song:
Tash Sultana at The Fillmore in San Francisco
  “To mark one of the biggest gaming title launches of the year, PlayStation®4 exclusive ‘The Last of Us Part II,’ PlayStation worked with Tash Sultana to re-record ‘Through The Valley’ - the iconic track from the game’s Reveal Trailer that went viral in 2016. The release of Tash’s cover of ‘Through The Valley’, is available now on Apple Music, iTunes and Spotify.
  “Tash said, ‘This is the first time I’ve done a collab like this. Usually it’s kinda just like writing sessions with other musos but this is for a game and it’s different as it's not my usual style to venture into so I’m completely honoured to be asked to do something like this. The response from gamers has been incredible.’”
  “The original track by US blues and folk artist Shawn James, is sung by lead character Ellie in ‘The Last of Us Part II’ reveal trailer and tells a dark tale of struggle and someone who, by the grace of their own killer instinct, does not fear. The song is reminiscent of Ellie’s experience in a cruel post-pandemic world.”

     Matt Holmes, Executive Creative Director at Poem said, “We’re passionate about earning attention for brands by creating ideas that earn a place in people’s lives, ideas that people will actually care about. The TLOU world is incredibly immersive and fans are genuinely emotionally invested in the characters and the story. We wanted to tap into that feeling and the crazy excitement for this sequel by using music as it’s a powerful emotional trigger and several tracks and guitar chords have become synonymous with the game. I couldn’t be prouder of the result. Tash did an incredible job in the recording and the final launch video is a cool collision of cultures that The Last of Us™ fans and music fans are loving.”

     "Through The Valley (The Last of Us Part II)" by Tash Sultana






Lyrics of "Through The Valley" by Tash Sultana
I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
And I'll fear no evil because I'm blind to it all
And my mind and my gun they comfort me
Because I know I'll kill my enemies whentheycome

Surelygoodness and mercywill follow meall the days of my life
And I will dwell on this earth forevermore
Said, I walk beside the still waters, and they restore my soul
But I can't walk on the path of the right because I'm wrong

Well, I came upon a man at the top of a hill
Called himself the savior of the human race
Said he come to save the world from destruction and pain
But I said, "How can you save the world from itself?"

Because I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
And I'll fear no evil because I'm blind
And I walk beside the still waters, and they restore my soul
But I know when I die my soul will be damned

No comments:

Post a Comment