Monday, October 25, 2021

“Oh, Molly” by Far Lands - A Song Feature

 

      First the use of horns and then the poem distinguish “Oh, Molly” from most of the singles featured by Indie Obsessive. Still, the guitars are the draw to the song from Far Lands. The main riff is tailored to the vocals, and the layering of guitars is attention-gripping.
 
       Far Lands is based in Portland, Oregon, and has a core of Andy McFarlane and Ivan Howard. The poem in “Oh, Molly” was written by Andy’s father Tom McFarlane, who entitled it “Sunset Fever.” Andy says:
  “They say you die the first time at the moment of your physical death and that you die a second death the final time your name is spoken. I guess by including my late father, Tom McFarlane’s poem at the end of ‘Oh, Molly’ I was offering up a little assist in his potential immortality.”
 
     “Oh, Molly” by Far Lands



Lyrics of “Oh, Molly” by Far Lands
I want inside your lovely room, so open up the door
Put down your drink and your solitude, that you worked so hard for
You’re deep inside your monologue, as you pace the floor
To be inside your arms tonight is all I ask for
 
I was in love
(Repeated 4x]
 
Inside your lonely hive your shape comes to life
I read into your every move, but I don’t quite see right
I see a darkness where we tried to fix the sky
With the gift of brokenness, so that we might see light
 
Oh Molly, oh Molly. Oh Molly what you doin’ to me?
 
I was in love
(Repeated 8x]
I was in...
 
Like a tear to cheek
To back of hand to shirttail,
And from shirttail into my almighty sky
 
Like a locomotive wailing down the track
And shriller as it races into silence.
 
Like rock to pebble,
And pebble to sand
On this beach, below that cliff
Before it ever knew to stand so tall
 
Like traffic lights on your deserted streets,
4am, eastern standard time,
With no one to command.
 
All pig meat and Lord’s Prayer
All torn and hung out to heal,
Up on cinderblocks
With rug burns for Christ’s sakes!
 
You gotta free the genie from the bottle.
You gotta put a penny in the tray sometimes.
 
You gotta get some real sleep tonight
and dream that dream for me again
Of sunset fever.
 
Oh Molly, what you doin’ to me?
Oh Molly, what you doin’ to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment