Thursday, November 14, 2013

“You Saw Something in Me” by Rudden + Bridge – A Song Review

     This post revolves around the question “For you personally, what is the love song that seems to be ageless, with an ability to move you from one emotional space to another during the span of the song?” If every reader of this post were to have an answer to the question, it’s very likely that no two answers would match. For one of us, the answer comes easily – “Simple Man” by Graham Nash.
     The question has relevance because we recently discovered a song that has many of the same traits as “Simple Man.” It took us a year to find it, but we finally chanced upon “You Saw Something in Me” by Rudden + Bridge. The song is from a British singer/songwriter duo comprising Stephen “Beanz” Rudden and Loz Bridge. Rudden +Bridge record with PlutonicGroup.
     “Simple Man” is vocals-centric. The instruments play important roles, but the mixing does not allow the instruments to step on the vocals or interfere with even one word of the lyrics. Instead, the harmonization carries the song. The same is true of “You Saw Something in Me.”
     The lyrics of “Simple Man” are not complex. They do not paint a picture of the loved one or romanticize the details of a past experience of the couple. Instead, the lyrics are internalized – what consequence does this relationship have on the understanding of the singer about himself. The same is true of “You Saw Something in Me.”
     “Simple Man” has a simple format. The song lasts a relatively short two and a half minutes. The musicians are obviously skilled, but their skills are not challenged during the song. If I pay attention to any one instrument throughout “Simple Man,” it isn’t too much of a stretch to conclude that with some practice, I could substitute for the original. The same is true of “You Saw Something in Me” (although substituting for the guitar playing would be an even greater stretch).
     “You Saw Something in Me” by Rudden + Bridge


LYRICS OF “You Saw Something in Me”
Today an angel held my hand
It was the most peculiar feeling I have ever had
Before my world was safe and grey
But then she turned up all the colours in my day
And for a while it really seemed
Like I could be the person I have always dreamed

You saw something in me
Something I have never seen.

Last night an angel shared my bed
It was the closest thing to perfect I have ever had
It had the feeling of a dream
It was the only real miracle I’ve ever seen.

You saw something in me
No-one else has ever seen.




LYRICS OF “Simple Man”
I am a simple man
So I sing a simple song
Never been so much in love
And never hurt so bad
At the same time

I am a simple man
And I play a simple tune
Wish that I could see you once again
Across the room
Like the first time

Just want to hold you
Don't want to hold you down
Hear what you're saying
And you're spinning my head around
And I can't make it alone

The ending of the tale
Is the singing of the song
Make me proud to be your man
Only you can make me strong
Like the last time

Just want to hold you
Don't want to hold you down
I hear what you're saying
And you're spinning my head around
I can't make it alone

No comments:

Post a Comment