Friday, November 10, 2017

“Restless” by Common Jack – A Song Review

     Common Jack introduces their version of Folk Rock Americana. “Restless” is admirable for a range of reasons. The lyrics are intelligently crafted. Admittedly, our interpretation of the lyrics is still evolving. But rather than merely referring to being dogged by restlessness, The song states, “The restless dog is at my heels / Nipping, biting, no matter how I pray.” And rather than stating that the days continue to march on, the track goes metaphorical - “The moon becomes the sun, becomes the moon again / The pendulum will sway.”  

     Another reason – The male vocals (John Gardner) are strong, and are sometimes accompanied by a female (Erica Swindell). During the first half of “Restless,” the approach is to calmly describe the situation. In comparison, after the shout “It hits so hard” at the 2:05 mark, the vocal approach is more emphatic.

     And there’s a violin. That’s Erica Swindell again. The instrument is particularly relevant during the bridge that immediately follows the 2:05 shout. The violin establishes an air of sophistication that contrasts with the end of the bridge, when the statement is a concern with getting dumber.

     Yet another reason to admire “Restless” is the pizzicato melody played via the violin during the early portion of the single and returning at the 1:13 mark. The melody works well with the rhythm of Gardner's vocals.  

     Common Jack is the performance name of Brooklyn-based John Gardner. In addition to Gardner and Swindell, other contributors to “Restless” are Dave Scalia (drums) and Harper James (bass).  

     “Restless” by Common Jack 


Lyrics of “Restless” by Common Jack
Please excuse my style today
It’s not that I don’t care it’s just a phase
The restless dog is at my heels
Nipping, biting, no matter how I pray

The more I try to use my eyes
The more I see the picture start to fray
The moon becomes the sun, becomes the moon again
The pendulum will sway

It swings swings swings
Swings so hard
It hits hits hits
It hits so hard

My mind goes walking through itself
Looking for the water in the well
But he don’t know the well’s got legs
And keeps his secret safely from the swell

So please excuse my mood today
It’s not that I’m unkind  just tend to dwell
On everything outside of me
And all the stories you will never tell

It swings swings swings
Swings so hard
It hits hits hits
It hits so hard
[Repeat]

Tell me something I don’t know
Before I get dumber
Show me something new
Cause I’m already kind of bored
Yeah, maybe I stole your fire
But can you really blame me?
What’s the good in fire
If you’re just going to sit and stare?
Just don’t to sit and stare

[Outro]

No comments:

Post a Comment