Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Cleanin’ Out My Closet (of Deserving Songs) – September 2018


     We periodically review the list of blogworthy tracks that have undeservedly remained on the list for too long. Assuming we still find the songs blogworthy, we dedicate a post to them, although they may be in very different genres. Today, it’s time to clean out the closet.
     In this post, the songs tend toward Pop.

     Kastrup is Timmie Strandberg and Puppe Westberg of Malmö, Sweden. According to their bio:
  The Swedish duo Kastrup was formed as the consequence of an innocent lie which landed the singer and songwriter Timmie a gig on short notice at the well-known and respected festival ”The Rookie Festival”, in Sweden 2013. Timmie signed the contract with the promoters, but had no band, no finished material, but a lot of demos and creative anxiety to channel. He contacted programming wizard and master synth geek Puppe to help out with this looming disaster. With a very short time to rehearse the gig was shaky, but the guys managed to be very appreciated by the audience and the promoters. Kastrup was born.

        “Joanna” by Kastrup


     Haley Blais is from Vancouver, British Columbia. There is an innocence to her voice and a power to her delivery. The vocal texturing during the final minute is what makes “Small Foreign Faction” special.

     “Small Foreign Faction” by Haley Blais


Lyrics of “Small Foreign Faction” by Haley Blais
I’m just a foreign faction
Irreconcilable conflict at parties
I feel like a chain reaction
But sadly, I don’t know where it started

I never wanted anything
And I never got it
I never wanted anything
And I never got it

I like to sit around fires
And catch the embers on my tongue
Listening to a church choir
Sing some hymns about someone

I never wanted anything
And I never got it x4

I’m just a foreign faction
Irreconcilable conflict at parties
I feel like a chain reaction
But sadly, I don’t know where it started
I never wanted anything
And I never got it
I never wanted anything
And look I got it


      This is the second visit of Feelds to Indie Obsessive. Things are going well:
  “Feelds, the Melbourne-based project of James Seymour, has quickly grown into a fully-fledged outfit, defined by clever songwriting used to provoke a dynamic soundscape of honest storytelling.”
      The live band includes James Seymour (vocals, guitar), Ezekiel Fenn (synth, bass, vocals), Michael Best (guitar, vocals), Jarred Young (drums, vocals), and Jonathon Ferraro (drums).

     “Circle” by Feelds


Lyrics of “Circle” by Feelds
This place is getting old, as you carry on
There's bluntness on your throne, but you don't arm the sword
It's heavy don't you know, so steady on

I fall just to step in line on your time - it's all manifested
You circle 'round my mind with what's left of mine
This bubble's cold

I've seen it all before and I saw this coming
Your eyes undress his shirt and you're smiling hungry
So the sun will rise slow to your wild soul

I fall just to step in line on your time - it's all manifested
You circle 'round my mind with what's left of mine
This bubble's cold

Holy racket for golden mattresses, with the coldest lines
A stolen atlas to take it all away from here



     “Frostbeat” by Sad Palace carries this post away from Pop, at least to some degree. The UK band identifies its genre as “Supernatural Groove Rock.”


No comments:

Post a Comment