Friday, June 21, 2019

“Falling Backwards” by Possible Oceans – A Song Feature


     “Falling Backwards” contrasts the depth and heaviness of the vocals against the higher frequency, almost delicate guitars that are best appreciated around the two-minute mark of the single from Possible Oceans. Similarly, the song contrasts often disheartening lyrical content with a melody that is energizing.

     The lyrics are not gloomy throughout “Falling Backwards.” While the song explains “I was trying not to fall off the edge of the earth,” it finishes with the declaration “Right now, I know exactly where I am.

     Possible Oceans is a Los Angeles Indie Rock band. The members are Trevor O'Neill (vocals, guitar), Daniel Berkman (vocals, guitar), Josh Nyback (bass), and Brian Henspeter (drums).

     “Falling Backwards” by Possible Oceans


Pasted below is the description the backstory of “Falling Backwards.”
     Late last year, singer/guitarist Trevor O’Neill of Possible Oceans found himself alone in a high rise hotel room overlooking Mexico City with only his makeshift mobile recording studio to keep him company. There to promote the group’s last release, the Phase Change EP, a melody had popped into O’Neill’s head to fit the words jotted down earlier in an Uber on the way to a radio performance. By the time the sun came up the next day the first demo for the new single “Falling Backwards” was done.
  “After six days alone in a city where everyone speaks a different language and you don’t know anyone, you can really get in your head. Mexico City is one of the most inspiring places I’ve ever been and I love it, but these solo trips are challenging for me. It’s a powerful experience to be cut off from your routines like that. Having so much time alone with my thoughts really made me reflect on my patterns and habits, especially my tendency to let circumstances dictate my mood, which has often led me to depression. This song is about recognizing your demons, calling them (and yourself) out, and being kind of reborn in the process.”

     “Deceiver” by Possible Oceans


No comments:

Post a Comment