Monday, August 19, 2019

“Lay Low” by Amy Guess - A Song Feature


      In 1966, “Eleanor Rigby” was released as the first (only?) Beatles’ song without a member playing an instrument. The vocals of The Beatles’ single were supported by a string ensemble performing a score that was mostly staccato, rather than melodic. Thus starts “Lay Low” by Amy Guess. However, that’s where the similarity ends. Instead of a reflection on loneliness, Amy Guess announces she wants to be left along. And “Lay Low” shows no interest in being limited to strings.

     Amy Guess is based in Las Vegas. She explains the motivation for “Lay Low:”
  “When I was writing this song it was definitely about taking a needed break from relationships that felt toxic to me, about taking time for self care to get my head in a better place but much more importantly it was also about feeling like I really wanted to make more time for the people I love most as well, time is so precious and I think a big part of self care that is very crucial is spending that time with the right people.”

     “Lay Low” by Amy Guess






No comments:

Post a Comment