Saturday, April 25, 2020

“Happy For You” by Francesca Blanchard – A Song Feature


     The category of singer/songwriter almost inherently has a lion’s share of soul-revealing singles. Still, it seems there has been a recent uptick in the ability of those artists to pull listeners into targeted emotions. Our favorite vocalist/song crafter with the repeating ability to usher listeners under her tent of emotion was Julien Baker. But Francesca Blanchard may be an even more skillful tentmaker.

     “Happy For You” is an inventory of emotions that surface in a post-breakup, pre-recuperation encounter with a lover. Quoting press content that includes a description of the song by Francesca Blanchard:
  Written in the agonizing space between resentment and letting go, ‘Happy For You” honors the beautiful albeit excruciating experience of reconciling a love's end. Blanchard's lyrics are raw and achingly relatable; she thrusts them to the forefront with masterfully stark arrangement and intensely intimate vocals. She says, "The song is about choosing to be happy for someone who is happier without you. To me, it feels like walking on eggshells, like trying to salvage the remaining pieces of a broken relationship while making as little noise as possible. It's a submission to grief, and there is something so fragile in that.”

     “Happy For You” has a beauty throughout. The voice of Francesca Blanchard is both emotionally charged and gently resolute. Her guitar caresses the lyrical content. Then, it gets even better. Long after the listener has been walked into her musical tent of emotion and has surrendered to the melody and vocals, Francesca Blanchard releases the cello. There is no more powerful instrument in floating empathy to the surface.

     Francesca Blanchard is currently based in Burlington, Vermont. But she was born and raised in France. On June 12, she will release the album “Make It Better,” which will include “Happy For You.”

     “Happy For You” by Francesca Blanchard







Lyrics of “Happy For You” by Francesca Blanchard
Got so used to not seeing you around
Now you’re back in town and I’m screaming
No excuses, I know it’s been a while
I thought I’d be just fine, but I’m bleeding

Glad to see that you’re smiling
Glad to see that you’re well
Feel the jealousy rising inside
Hope you can’t tell

I could call you out, cause a scene
I could scream and shout, break a glass and leave
Curse your name, spread the shame
You know I want to
But I’ll just be happy for you

Even when the morning comes
I’ll be waking up empty and drunk
You’re my bottle, my prescription drug
What do I do when I run out of you?
Facing myself is so hard to do
And I’m watching you do it
Fighting right through it
Like you never needed me at all

Oh, here I go my self-defense
Blaming you for my co-dependence
Wish I could curse your name, play that game
But what would that do
I’ll just be happy for …

No comments:

Post a Comment