Tuesday, February 2, 2021

“Cigarettes" by Douglas – A Song Feature

 

     “Cigarettes" lowers the drawbridge over the moot that too often is used as the reason guitar-enthusiasts do not approach the Kingdom of Techno-pop. Yes, there are many examples of guitars taking residence in an Electro-Pop environment. But the guitar and bass in “Cigarettes" own their section of  the environment and materially contribute to the sophistication of the single, rather than merely taking deferential roles.
 
     The song from Douglas showcases power synth and attention-gripping vocals that are set to Pop sensibilities. Creatively, the start of “Cigarettes" has the feel of a Theremin, an instrument that is interesting if used briefly. The Theremin-like intro quickly and seamlessly transitions to a melodic synth riff and a kickdrum beat. “Good” gets much better when the vocals and guitar enter 30 seconds into the song. Then, “better” gets best at 1:06, as a skillfully played guitar hook makes its first sonic appearance.
 
     The voice and synth in “Cigarettes" belong to LA-based Douglas, which is the performance name of Amy Douglas White. Her voice is often overdubbed to increase the power and beauty of the vocals. The other crucial contributors are guitarist Jonathan Bates (Big Black Delta), bassist Justin Meldal-Johnsen (NIN, Beck), and drummer Kris Persson (Gunnar Gehl).
 
     The lyrics of “Cigarettes” are included at the bottom of this post. Douglas explains that “the song depicts a woman grappling with a crumbling relationship and finally realizing that her happiness lies in her freedom.” Interestingly, the lyrics include contrary possibilities that show the internal difficulties in sorting through the situation, similar to R.E.M.’s hit “Losing My Religion.” In “Cigarettes,” the protagonist says, “Maybe I tried too hard; Maybe I didn’t try hard enough.” In comparison, the R.E.M. song about unrequited love proclaims “Oh no I've said too much; I haven't said enough.”
    
     The bio of Douglas notes: 
  Raised by American parents in Spain, Amy Douglas White always felt a little caught between worlds. “I felt like I never really belonged in the States or in Spain,” says the keyboardist and singer, who has performed with artists as varied as M83, West Indian Girl, and indie electronic duo Linus and Amy. “But also very open to both cultures.”
    
     Ashes,” the debut album of Douglas, is scheduled for release in April 2021. The singer has been involved with the music industry for more than 15 years, but “Ashes” is the first album that’s wholly her own.
 
     “Cigarettes" by Douglas



Lyrics of “Cigarettes" by Douglas
Falling into our same old ways
Sitting around as days go by
Waiting for something else
The clothes have a smell of cigarettes
The scent lingers on as I try to forget
You don’t even want to hide it
 
The sound of your keys as they hit the floor
The shell of a man left at my door
Just another insult baby
Maybe I tried too hard
Maybe I didn’t try hard enough
Where did our love go?
 
And every time I wish you’d see me
No matter what you say it’s not me
Blinded by the look in your eyes
And every time I wish you’d see me
No matter what you say it’s not me
Blinded by the look in your eyes
 
Just another insult, baby
And I don’t want to hear your lies
You’re lying about your lies
I don’t want to hear your lies
 
And every time you say you love me
And every time you say you’re sorry
I only want to say goodbye
And every time I wish you’d see me
No matter what you say it’s not me
Blinded by the look in your eyes
 
And every time you say you love me
And every time you say you’re sorry
I only want to say goodbye
I only want to say goodbye
I only want to say goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment