Saturday, March 26, 2022

“Crisis Actor” by Sandman Sleeps - An Album Feature

 

      “Crisis Actor,” the debut album of Sandman Sleeps does not include a weak link among its 10 tracks. Still, from our perspective, the more favorable singles are the ones in which the lead vocals have many of the vocal characteristics of Chrissie Hynde, the Rocker voice and driving force of Pretenders. Perhaps the song with the closest alignment with Hynde is “Feet.” But our favorite single from the album is “Spiral.”
 
     Sandman Sleeps includes sisters Cristina Peck (guitar, vocals) and Alex Peck (bass), as well as Karsten Andersen (drums) and Zack Jones (guitar, vocals). They are based in Fort Pierce, Florida.
 
     Quoting press material with which we agree:
  A cohesive album that refuses to settle for just one style, Crisis Actor features everything from ethereal, moody alternative (“Soaked, “Opaque,” “Induced”), punchy upbeat tropical punk leanings (“Feet,” “Fellini,” “Five Bell Alarm”) which capture the band’s restless on-stage chemistry and energy, and indie, alt pop tendencies (“Spiral,” “Rare Cloud”). Lyrically, there are recurring themes such as fear of illness (coincidentally mostly not related to COVID), a hyperawareness of mind/body, love/break ups, as well as feelings of dissociation. ‘Crisis Actor’ knows no boundaries and never panders, instead letting us run with its emotional hints to our own destinations, different on every listen.

     “Spiral” by Sandman Sleeps

Lyrics of “Spiral” by Sandman Sleeps
Awake
Thought I was done for
Cut the cake
Got to fight it off
Outside drifted parts of me
In your eyes all the memories
And I won’t trust fire in the sky
but I’ll throw myself in anyway
The game, got to fight it all
I found the words to say
but see how my lips will hold their shape?
I’m sipping in the dust and light
It’s just another way of keeping you close to my side
Come inside, hide
Ten billion years old
Would you stay the same?
Would you take me home?
Come inside, hide

     “Feet” by Sandman Sleeps
 

Lyrics of “Feet” by Sandman Sleeps
Strangers’ outside
Did you glow? Did you knock?
You vanished from my sight
I see the road but the signs won’t light up
And I feel my feet they’re already there
on the tile of your kitchen floor
So maybe if I squint so hard I’ll see the sun
You said emptiness is god
Another come and go
I’ll wait to find my own
Strangers’ outside
They won’t stop knocking now until you answer
But someone might come
They might carry you on your way now over their shoulder
(they might not)
And I feel my feet, they’re already there
on the tile of your kitchen floor
So maybe you’re thinking so hard nothing gets done
Even emptiness is god
Another come and go
I’ll wait to find my own
This is not my body
and it’s not the badge of my beliefs



No comments:

Post a Comment