Monday, December 2, 2019

“Monsters” by Hazlett – A Song Feature


      Hazlett masterfully combines poetic, solemnly delivered observations on life with choruses that are up-tempo and inviting. Equally skillful are the almost seamless transitions between the slower tempo verses and the chorus.  Hazlett exhibited the skills in his motivating single “Suncats,” but it is even more apparent in the barroom-inspired “Monsters.”

      “Monsters” is described as “an ode to drunk people, insecurity and a gut feeling it's all going to be okay.” The first verse is a reflection upon the people and the second verse upon the gut feeling – “Any day now // Moonbeams will come rescue you.” Between the two lies the up-tempo chorus that introduces the insecurity component – Are we monsters?… Desperate to find what’s haunting us.”

     Hazlett is an Australian vocalist/ songwriter. He is from Brisbane and works with collaborator/confidant Freddy Alexander. In explaining the motivation for “Monsters,” Hazlett said:
  “A new bar opened up in my hometown that became the place to go. I’ve never been much of a social butterfly but found myself following the crowd too. I started to notice the same people there week in week out, usually hooking up with someone different each time or even with someone who I thought their friend was with the week before. There were tears, crowded cubicles, fisticuffs and what felt like a soap opera at every corner. But I caught myself judging and I absolutely hated myself for it. We’re all just young and trying to figure it out, right? We’ve all done horrible things but that doesn’t make us horrible people, does it? If our hearts eventually land in the right place who am I to judge how we get there. We’re human, we’re gonna make mistakes. We’re all gonna be Monsters from time to time and that’s okay.”

     “Monsters” by Hazlett 


No comments:

Post a Comment